Fleetwood Town 5-1 Plymouth Argyle Match Report

Fleetwood Town extended their unbeaten home run to seven games as they cruised past Plymouth Argyle at Highbury.

Strikes from Sam Finley, Callum Camps, and Wes Burns gave the Trawlermen a 3-0 lead at half time.

The hosts extended their lead after the break when Charlie Mulgrew headered in his first goal for the club before Camps added another goal to cap off a stunning team performance.

Luke Jephcott notched a consolation goal late on for Argyle who’s disappointing afternoon was worsened in stoppage when Niall Canavan received his marching orders following two yellow cards.

Argyle made three changes from the 2-2 draw with Portsmouth

Fleetwood started extremely well and deservedly took the lead in the 3rd minute through Finley.

The midfielder dispossessed Panutche Camara and powered toward the Argyle goal, before unleashing a shot from 25 yards that took a slight deflection to put it out of the reach of Michael Cooper and into the net.

Argyle couldn’t handle the high press style of play that the hosts were enforcing and found themselves 2-0 down less than five minutes later.

Paddy Madden flicked a lobbed through ball to Camps who managed to evade the challenge of goalkeeper Cooper and roll the ball in to double the score.

Argyle could have responded straight away with what was to be their best chance of the first half. Danny Mayor cut inside onto his favoured right foot and drilled the ball goalwards only to be denied by the feet of Jayson Leutwiler.

As of Friday 20th, November EFL teams can make up to five substitutions rather than three, and Argyle manager Ryan Lowe utilised that with just 10 minutes played.

Camara gingerly left the field and was replaced by Nottingham Forest loanee Tyrese Fornah. Will Aimson was the second to leave the pitch before half time, being replaced by former Manchester United defender Scott Wootton.

The Pilgrims lacked any sort of creativity in the first half and barely troubled the Fleetwood goal so it was no surprise when the home side added a third goal in the 38th minute.

Finley the goalscorer turned provider, slid a through ball to Wes Burns who beat the offside trap and had the composure to delicately dink the ball over the keeper to score his first goal of the season.

Lowe made his last three available changes at half time for Argyle. Conor Grant, Dominic Telford, and Jerome Opoku made way for Ryan Hardie, Canavan, and Jephcott as the Pilgrims hunted for an unlikely comeback.

But any hopes of an Argyle turnaround however were thwarted in the 54th minute when Fleetwood added their fourth of the game.

After winning a free kick on the left-wing. Morris delivered a dangerous cross onto the experienced head of Mulgrew who guided the ball into the bottom corner.

Fleetwood were looking like they would score every time they went forward and they could have made it five in the 61st minute but Camps saw his one on one effort tipped onto the post by Cooper.

They didn’t have to wait long for their fifth which arrived just five minutes later with Camps once again finding the target.

Argyle failed to substantially clear the ball away allowing the playmaker to strike the ball on the half volley from the edge of the area into the top corner.

A day to forget for Argyle was made a little better when Welsh U21 international Luke Jephcott volleyed home in the 83rd after a fizzed cross from Frank Nouble for his 7th goal of the season.

But when Argyle fans watching from home thought they had seen it all their team were reduced to ten men in stoppage time. Niall Canavan fouled Ched Evans to receive his second yellow card of the game after only being substituted on at half time.

The result sees Fleetwood climb to 7th and just one place outside of the playoffs. Meanwhile, Argyle drop down to 10th.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: