Bradford City vs Oldham Athletic Match Report

Bradford City were dumped out of the FA Cup this afternoon after falling to a 2-1 defeat against Oldham Athletic.

Stuart McCall made three changes to the side narrowly beaten on Tuesday night, Bryce Hosannah and Zeli Ismail returned to the starting 11 following injuries. Ben Richards-Everton replaced the injured Reece Staunton.

Harry Kewell made two changes to his Oldham side with Harry Clarke and Brice Ntambwe coming into the starting 11.

The first action of the game was following a free-kick swung in by Billy Clarke into the six yard box where Oldham keeper Ian Lawlor tripped Clayton Donaldson. The verdict was a penalty. Donaldson stepped up and converted with a cool and calm Panenka.

Shortly after, the visitors equalised thanks to a cracking finish from Connor McAleny from 25 yards out.

McAleny could have had a second after Cameron Borthwick-Jackson found McAleny who turned but saw his shot just go wide.

Oldham started to take the game to Bradford. Danny Rowe released Dylan Fage who whipped a perfect cross on a plate for Brice Ntambwe but he fired over the bar.

Oldham came again with McAleny having two chances in the space of two minutes first a shot saved by Richard O’Donnell then smacking the crossbar from a header.

It was all Oldham, this time Danny Rowe fancied his chances but he fired into the side netting.

O’Donnell was keeping City in the game and was called into action again when McAleny again had a chance six yards out but O’Donnell made himself big and kept the score level.

Oldham were not giving Bradford time to breathe, Ben Garrity found some space in the box with the goal gaping but dragged his shot wide.

The half time team talk from Stuart McCall would have taken a set back as at the start of the second half Oldham took the lead. Another fantastic strike this time from Danny Rowe who curled his shot in from 30 yards out.

Oldham didn’t stop there as Davis Keillor-Dunn soon after the goal had a close-range shot tipped over by Richard O’Donnell.

It took Bradford 62 minutes to have an attempt, not from the penalty spot, a deep cross from Connor Wood found Clayton Donaldson who stretched for the ball with his head but over the bar.

City seemed to be growing into the game another Connor Wood cross was held by Lawlor, it fell to Gareth Evans but his shot was deflected wide.

Despite City trying to come into the game they couldn’t and Oldham won the game comfortably.

Another defeat for the Bantams, three on the bounce and no prospect of a FA Cup run. The struggles for City and McCall continue.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: