Leicester City vs Fulham – Match Report

Leicester came off the back of a 3-3 draw against Portuguese side Braga in the week, to return to the Premier League in their pursuit of the top three. 

The visitors, Fulham, had different ambitions, as Scott Parker’s side looked to climb out of the bottom three, with West Brom in striking range. 

Fulham have the most goals conceded in the first 15 minutes of Premier League matches – six – however, the Foxes failed to capitalise on this. 

Both teams initially looked to be creating chances from midfield, but struggling to break down each other’s defences. 

In the 30th minute however, there was a break through, which came for the visiting side. 

Fulham midfielder André-Frank Zambo Anguissa burst through the central channel with great pace on the counter attack and played a precise though-ball to the feet of Ademola Lookman. 

Lookman slotted home past Kasper Schmeichel to make it 1-0 for the Cottagers, and dedicated his goal to former Fulham player Papa Bouba Diop, who’s death was announced last night. 

Leicester responded strongly enjoying attacking spells, but weren’t able to equalise against Scott Parker’s side. 

In the 35th minute, Christian Fuchs brought down Bobby Reid in the box, after a VAR check, Simon Hooper declared it a Fulham penalty. 

With Ivan Cavaleiro failing to convert a penalty kick to a goal at Everton last weekend, the pressure was weighing down on his shoulders. 

The Portuguese forward battled his nerves superbly to make it impossible for Leicester keeper Kasper Schmeichel, with a rocket-like shot into the top right corner. 

The Cottagers had breathing space over Brendan Rodgers’ side at half-time. 

Leicester hadn’t come back to win a game from being 2-0 down since their Premier League winning season in 2015/16, the Foxes would have to revamp their game in the second half to get three points. 

The home side made two changes at the break, with Harvey Barnes and Cengiz Under looking to ignite Leicester’s football. 

The Foxes once again struggled to make their mark, with Fulham’s defence not being phased by the pace of Leicester City. 

The game did take a sudden change towards the end, with Harvey Barnes firing Jamie Vardy’s touch-back in the net in the 86th minute. 2-1. 

Leicester looked bright, the Foxes had five minutes added time to work with. 

In a last minute scramble, Kelechi Iheanacho’s close range shot was blocked by Joachim Andersen, the Cottagers took the three points. 

Leicester now remain three points from the top, Brendan Rodgers will look to bounce back in their next Premier League game against Sheffield United. 

By Jack Feneley 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: