Cambridge United vs Mansfield Town: Match Report

The Stags used one of the three chances on target to score the one and only goal in the contest. Jamie Reid’s goal sealed the three points for the amber and blues against the high-flying Cambridge side.

Going into this fixture, Cambridge were in a fantastic position in the league as they continued to pave their path near the top of the League Two table. Mansfield Town, on the other hand, were in a very different situation as they languished near the bottom of the league in 23rd place.

The first chance fell for the Stags as Reid looked to make an immediate impact upon his return to the starting 11. The striker’s first touch was sublime, but his finish was over the bar.

Cambridge had a chance of their own not long after. Paul Mullin released Luke Hannant as the midfielder fired at goalwards with the shot ending up off target.

Mal Benning had a shot blocked by the Cambridge defence in the seventh minute as the Stags looked to turn the screw a little.

In the opening exchanges, the U’s looked to use their free-flowing football to the good. Resilient football from the Cambridge midfield made it hard for Mansfield to defend, but Cambridge were unable to create anything from it.

Mid-way through the first half, Hiram Boateng went down injured as the midfielder clutched his shoulder in pain as it looked to be a serious injury and Adam May replaced him after he came off.

Robbie Cundy forced a great stop from Marek Stech. The centre-back chested the ball and his goalwards volley was stopped well by the Czech goalkeeper.

The first 45 minutes ended in a stalemate as both sides were still testing the waters and looked for a forced mistake from the opposition.

Half-time: Cambridge United 0-0 Mansfield Town

Reid started the half strongly. The striker received a cross from Ollie Clarke and pulled his shot wide off the target from a very dangerous position.

The forward continued his work as he tried to open the scoring for the Stags. The summer signing slipped in Harry Charsley who was denied by the on-rushing Dimitar Mitov who claimed the ball from the close-range effort.

Mansfield Town grabbed the lead not long after that and it was the two individuals that linked up for the goal. Charsley headed the ball down towards Reid who tucked the ball into the back of the net from inside the box.

Cambridge pilled on the pressure into the last 15 minutes. Joe Ironside was the first to test Stech once more. The Cambridge forward struck the ball well, but Stags’ number one was equal to it.

Paul Mullin had the chance to equalise with ten minutes to go. A fantastic strike from Mullin saw the Czech goalkeeper pull off a fantastic save to keep the game in Mansfield’s favour.

The game finished 1-0 in the end and Jamie Reid’s goal was enough to move Mansfield up from 23rd to 19th in League Two. Cambridge United remain in the top ten as after that loss they drop to sixth.

Full-time: Cambridge United 0-1 Mansfield Town

Man of the match: Jamie Reid

That man deserved to grab a few goals today if only he had put his chances away, but his goal was the winner for the Stags as they got the three points. The forward looked to help the team really take the game by the scruff of the neck and wanted to get involved with either a goal or assist from the game.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: