Oldham Athletic vs Bradford City

Six defeats in a row for Bradford City as they were beaten 3-1 this afternoon by Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park.

Manager Stuart McCall made one change to the side who lost 1-0 against Carlisle last time out. Striker Lee Novak returned to the starting line-up after being out due to injury.

The hosts were without striker Danny Rowe after suffering an injury on Tuesday night. Zac Dearnley returned to the bench after five weeks out.

City started brightly but on the stroke of 9 minutes went behind after a quick Oldham break. Dylan Bahamboula ran from the half-way after and slid his shot beyond Richard O’Donnell.  

Oldham were causing a threat from set pieces and on the 25 minute, a corner swung in from Bobby Grant was met by Carl Piergianni headed home through a crowd of players. 

McCall after the second went in turned to his bench and made an early change. Tyler French came into the back three for Ben Richards-Everton. 

City had a great chance to get back into the game. A cross from Bryce Hosannah was towards the back post, headed back across the box and Clayton Donaldson looked certain to tap home but he fell over at the vital moment leaving Bantams fans across the country thinking. How did he miss?

Bradford were forced into another first half change. Bryce Hosannah came off with a suspected hamstring injury, Levi Sutton coming on to the pitch. 

Stuart McCall’s men had another chance in added time a cross from Lee Novak aimed towards the back post Harry Pritchard met the ball with his head but aimed into the side netting.

Into the second half and City did have the ball in the net Anthony O’Connor’s long ball did find Lee Novak, he finished with a lob over Ian Lawlor but the flag went up for offside.

City came close from a corner, Paudie O’Connor met the cross but his header was somehow cleared off the line. 

But on the 73rd minute the game was done. Oldham substitute Davis Keillor-Dunn had time and space to pick his spot and he curled in Oldham’s third.

City did get a consolation goal. Paudie O’Connor headed one back for the Bantams.

But straight after it could have been 3-2. Donaldson again somehow didn’t score in an almighty scramble in the box.

Meanwhile Oldham were searching for a fourth, a quick break from the homeside saw Connor McAleny have a chance but he hit it straight at the keeper. 

A late surge from the Bantams was not enough to salvage anything from the game and they fall to another worrying result.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: