Crystal Palace vs Tottenham Hotspur

Late Jeffrey Schlupp equaliser sees Spurs drop points away at Crystal Palace in a 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park.

After a tough but successful run against Big Six sides, Tottenham travelled to South London to face Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace.

Mourinho made 10 changes to his side that won 2-0 at home to Antwerp on Thursday, with Sergio Reguilon the only starter from the Europa League victory.

Palace named an unchanged side, following their 5-1 thrashing of West Bromwich Albion a week prior.

It was also the first time that The Eagles fans could see their team play in the flesh since March.

A win would have seen Tottenham retain their top of the table position, with a draw or loss opening the door for next Wednesday’s opponents, Liverpool to overtake them.

The game began and the away side started on the front foot.

Crystal Palace dropped deep, and were very compact, allowing the Tottenham fullbacks to play crosses into the area.

The first real action came in the 8th minute, when Heung-Min Son found his way behind the Palace backline, but Cheikhou Kouyate was quick to recover, and Spurs’ number seven was unable to hit the target.

Hodgson’s game plan was clear – find Christian Benteke, who would flick the ball onto Wilfried Zaha.

This plan nearly came into fruition just after Son’s opportunity, and after some fluent play, Zaha cut inside and fired a shot towards captain Hugo Lloris’ net.

Luckily for the Frenchman, the shot was fairly tame, and the save was comfortable.

Minutes later Zaha found himself free of space again, and a lovely diagonal ball from Eberechi Eze found the feet of the Ivorian.

However, his rushed shot went way over the bar.

Tottenham began to regain possession and prevent the threat that Zaha was beginning to create.

Serge Aurier found himself free on the right-hand side and played in a cross.

A huge deflection found its way to Tanguy Ndombele, who drilled a shot low into the bottom left corner.

To the astonishment of the home supporters, Spanish goalkeeper Vicente Guaita was down quickly and palmed the shot away – keeping his team in the game.

Just one minute later, in the 18th minute, Spurs had another opportunity.

This time Reguilon cut onto his weaker right foot and curled a shot just over the bar.

A slight deflection saw the referee award a corner to Mourinho’s team.

Once again, Guaita saved the day for Palace, as Harry Kane met the corner with a cushioned header.

In the 23rd minute, Tottenham counter-attacked down the left-hand side.

Top goal scorer Son burst inside and found teammate Kane.

With one look up, Kane unleashed a fizzing ball towards Palace’s Spanish goalkeeper.

Although the shot was low and central, the movement caught the Spaniard off guard, and he was unable to stop the ball – flicking it into the net.

Spurs made it 1-0, a goal that was certainly coming for the league leaders.

Another Son and Kane link-up.

Guaita had gone from hero to villain in a matter of minutes.

For the remainder of the first half Tottenham continued to hold possession, with Crystal Palace having the occasional counter attacking opportunity, but were unable to equalise.

Their best chance came from new signing Eze, who similarly to Zaha at the beginning of the half, cut inside and challenged Lloris.

This time hitting the outside of the post.

The half time whistle came at the perfect time for Palace and seemed to revitalise them for the second half.

Spurs’ dominance in the first half was met by the reverse of Crystal Palace in the second.

Determined to send their fans home happy, the team in blue and red, piled on the pressure.

Throughout the second half, Palace held the ball, and drew fouls from the Tottenham players, earning them free kicks in dangerous areas.

Despite numerous opportunities, the Lilywhites backline held their own.

Until the 81st minute.

A foul drawn by Zaha, earned Palace a freekick on the left-hand side of the area.

Up stepped 22-year-old Eze, who made his first appearance in front of Palace fans.

His cross was lofted into the perfect area, and players threw themselves at the ball looking to get a touch either out of the box or into the net.

Everyone missed the ball, and Hugo Lloris was left stranded.

Despite his touch on the ball, it fell perfectly for Jeffrey Schlupp, who bundled it over the line – sending the fans wild.

A much deserved goal for the South London side, who had been the much better team in the second half.

This goal, saw Spurs step into another gear, trying to regain the lead that they had for the majority of the game.

One last chance came in stoppage time.

A freekick opportunity, from around 25 yards out.

Defender Eric Dier stepped up.

With a tremendous effort, arrowing towards the top corner it looked as if he had won it for the away side.

But Vicente Guaita had other ideas.

He dived at full length and tipped the ball over the crossbar, performing the seemingly impossible.

Palace fans roared and Dier could not believe what he had seen.

The final whistle blew, and the game ended 1-1.

A disappointing result for Tottenham, yet a fantastic one for Crystal Palace.

A great goalkeeping display from the Palace shot stopper, despite his mistake for the Harry Kane goal.

The away side were too late to recover their lead, and the one goal lead was not enough for them to hold in – conceding their first Premier League goal in over 700 hours.

Luckily for Spurs, they still sit top of the table following the Liverpool result at Craven Cottage and it is all to play for on Wednesday evening.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: