Leicester City v Everton – Match Report

Leicester faced visitors Everton in a 2-0 defeat under the floodlights, as Brendan Rodgers’ side missed out on a chance to strike at Liverpool and Tottenham before their clash later in the night after a resilient performance from the Toffees.

With Defender Jonny Evans missing the Premier League clash after taking his fifth yellow card of the season against Brighton on Saturday, Wilfred Ndidi replaced the Northern Irishman, as Leicester switched to four defenders from their usual formation of five at the back.

Turkish International Cengiz Ünder made his first league start for the club after his goal against AEK Athens last week.

With Leicester chasing down Tottenham and Liverpool, sat first and second in the league respectively, and Everton fighting for a Champions League place, the game would be pivotal in both side’s Premier League campaign.

The Foxes have been notorious for their counter-attacking football this season, however in the first half, it was the Toffees that had all the fun on the break.

Gylfi Sigurdsson and Allan were pulling the strings in midfield for Ancelotti’s side, initiating the pace of Richarlison, who was causing problems for the Foxes in the early stages of the game.

The Toffees were proving themselves to be the stronger side, and it didn’t take long for the Merseyside team to break the deadlock.

In the 21st minute, Leicester keeper Schmeichel’s left hand was too weak for Richarlison’s  low-driven shot, as the Brazilian found the bottom right corner from outside the box.

The goalkeeper showed visible disappointment after an unlikely mistake from the Dane.

Everton continued to have a stronger share of possession and attacking spells, but a scare came for the Toffees when highly influential midfieldier, Allan, pulled his hamstring in the 38th minute and was carried off the pitch on a stretcher, André Gomes replaced the Brazilian.

Despite great close range headed chances for both sides coming from Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Jamie Vardy, the score remained 1-0 to Everton at half-time.

Brendan Rodgers would’ve been eager to get in to the minds of his players at the break and force an improvement in the second half.

There was a clear change in spirit for the home-side in the second half, the Foxes dominated possession and Harvey Barnes was exceptional at driving the ball forward.

However the fortunes were turned for Rodgers’ side, Sigurdsson’s free kick looked set to fall out of play, but full-back James Justin headed the ball out for a corner to be safe.

As the corner swung in, Micheal Keane was the first to connect, his effort was stopped by Schmeichel, into the path of Calvert-Lewin, who forced another great save from the Danish keeper.

Schmeichel’s fantastic double save wasn’t enough to keep the game at 1-0, as Mason Holgate connected with the keeper’s deflection, and fired home from close range.

Although Leicester have performed heroics in the final 15 minutes of games this season, they weren’t able to pull anything back, and Everton took the three points.

After Southampton’s draw at Arsenal, Leicester drop to fourth in the table, the Foxes will look to bounce back against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, in crucial game for the title race.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: