Scunthorpe United v Mansfield Town: Match Report

A very scrappy game from both sides saw the Stags come out on top with a 3-2 victory. Two own goals and three legitimate goals were scored in a game that was very strange but saw the sides go head-to-head in a very key battle.

The first chance of the first half came from Jamie Reid. Ollie Clarke crossed the ball into the forward’s path as he fired over the bar with a first time effort.

Mal Benning looked to find one of his teammates in the Scunthorpe penalty area as he delivered a dangerous ball in, but the cross evaded everyone as no one in a Stags shirt was able to connect to it.

The first scrappy goal came in the 16th minute. A Kellan Gordon cross was bundled in by George Lapslie in a very player filled box, but the midfielder took the goal as his own and opened the scoring for the Stags.

Scunthorpe looked for an immediate response Abo Eisa floated a ball into the area which Manny Onariase connected with. The defender’s headed attempt was saved by Marek Stech and cleared away.

Onariase managed to score a goal but into his own net. Benning crossed the ball into the area which the Scunthorpe defender intercepted but slid the ball into his own net as the Stags took a two-goal lead.

The Irons got a goal back before half-time. Alex Gilliead looked to find Aaron Jarvis in the penalty area which Ferrand Rawson cut out but in doing so slid the ball into the back of his own net and gave Scunthorpe a very cheap goal.

Half-Time: Scunthorpe United 1-2 Mansfield Town

The Stags regained their two-goal advantage 15 minutes into the second half. After another free-kick delivery from Benning saw Rawson connect with a header which hit the post and then Jordan Bowery bundled the ball in from close range to make it 3-1 for Mansfield Town.

John McAtee looked to get away with the ball as the Irons looked to find a response yet again, but the Stags skipper, Clarke, dispossessed the midfielder well.

McAtee would get his goal with 20 minutes to go in the match. Ryan Loft crossed the ball into the area from the byline with McAtee side-footing the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

Loft was involved once again four minutes later. The substitute found space in the penalty area as he tried to fire a shot on goal, but Stech came out and collected the ball before the forward could do so.

Mansfield were unlucky not to restore their two-goal lead once again. Andy Cook found himself with the ball on the edge of the Scunthorpe area and fired a shot at goal, but his shot was wide of Mark Howard’s goal.

Full-Time: Scunthorpe United 2-3 Mansfield Town

Man of the Match: Jordan Bowery

A deserved Man of the Match performance for the striker who continues to improve under Nigel Clough and managed to score the game-winner with Mansfield’s third goal of the afternoon.

His improvements are showing as he managed to score his second goal in the same amount of the games and hopefully the confidence achieved from these games that he has scored in can enable him to go on and score more League Two goals this season.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: