Swindon Town vs MK Dons: Match Report

Four tiers and four goals for Milton Keynes tonight as Russell Martin’s side hit at least three goals in a league match for the first time since New Year’s Day and achieved consecutive wins in League One for the first time since February.  

A motif of MK Dons’ season has been conceding early goals but the men in black forgot all about that to score an early goal of their own. Matej Kovar pulled off a brilliant save to deny Ben Gladwin but the ball only fell to Cameron Jerome; the veteran striker in the right place at the right time to put his side ahead. Kovar did incredibly reach his effort too but could not keep it out that time.

The away side doubled their lead with an overload on the left-hand side. The ball was switched out to Scott Fraser who deftly fed Daniel Harvie, who beat the onrushing Kovar to finish impressively from a tight angle.

However, just as it seemed as though The Dons were going to stroll to victory, the home side had their say on proceedings. A poor Robins set-piece was cleared only as far as Jack Payne, who rifled in a fine long-range effort: a goal good enough to grace the Premier League let alone League One.

Russell Martin’s side refused to be rattled and within minutes, their two-goal cushion was restored. Gladwin played in Jerome and whilst the Swindon back four were looking for an offside flag that never came, the lone striker was teeing himself up to slot into the bottom corner for his eighth of the campaign.

Half-time: Swindon Town 1-3 MK Dons

Swindon Town starting XI
MK Dons starting XI

John Sheridan made three half-time substitutions and a further change in the 49th minute as he attempted to turn the tide for the League Two champions. The first fifteen minutes were fairly non-eventful with the hosts much improved but not really testing Andrew Fisher.

The Dons should have undoubtedly been awarded a penalty in the 64th minute as Joe Mason, fresh on as a substitute, latched on to a poor touch from a backpass to Kovar. The goalkeeper then proceeded to bring down his man but Sam Purkiss decided not to point to the spot despite the audible screams from the away dugout.

That incident seemed to have a turning point feel as Sheridan’s side ramped up the pressure. Andrew Fisher got down smartly to deny Jack Payne a brace as the viewing experience started to feel extremely uncomfortable for Cowshed goers with plenty of minutes remaining.

Just as the hosts were in the ascendency, Martin’s wing-backs combined to add a fourth and give their team a positive goal difference for the first time this season. Harvie crossed for Regan Poole, who has been getting into fantastic positions all season, and this time, there was end-product too as the Welshman headed home brilliantly to cap a brilliant evening for the Bletchley based outfit.

Things went from bad to worse for the Wiltshire side. Rob Hunt came on to give his side more grit in the second half. His manager definitely did not intend for him to injure Poole with a shocking challenge that saw Purkiss show him a red card. The young wing-back had to come off as a result and all at Stadium MK will be hoping it is not serious, with the Dons squad depleted enough already.

This unfortunate occurrence did not take the gloss off a fantastic night for the Buckinghamshire side, who climb up to 14th and will remain there into the New Year if Plymouth Argyle fail to beat Oxford United.

Full-time: Swindon Town 1-4 MK Dons 

Man of the match: Daniel Harvie

Published by Reece Davies

Milton Keynes born and raised and a former employee of Stadium MK for 6 years. A passionate MK Dons fan ready to document our dire performances

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: