Barnsley vs Cardiff City Match Report

Cardiff fight back from two goals down to snatch a draw in Mick McCarthy’s first game in charge. Goals from Mads Andersen and Cauley Woodrow had Barnsley in front but two goals from corners saw the Bluebirds battle back for a point. 

Barnsley were unchanged from the FA cup win over Norwich at the weekend with Brad Collins and Toby Sibbick keeping their places in the starting lineup. Big Mick also made a few changes to the Cardiff line-up as he looked to shake things up in his first game.

The game got off to a slow start but just before the ten minute mark Barnsley thought they had taken the lead only for the ref to rule it out and award Cardiff a free-kick.

A sliced Cardiff clearance looped up into the air and the ball was bundled in from what looked to be a combination of Woodrow and Smithies. The ref ruled out the goal stating the Barnsley striker had pushed the keeper but after seeing the replay it was clear that Flint had in fact pushed Woodrow into the keeper so the goal should have stood.

Barnsley didn’t have to wait too long though for the opener to come. On the twenty-minute mark, Mads Andersen headed home his first goal for the club following a fantastic cross from the right by Dom Freiser.

Freiser looked to be sending in a long throw but instead opted to go short to Brittain, the Wing-back played it back to Freiser and he floated in a fantastic cross and the big Danish defender headed home into the top corner superbly.

Cardiff struggled to create anything of note in the first half with Brad Collins having an easy opening 45. The best chance for the away side fell to Hoilett who was picked out in the box by Vaulks but he headed his effort over the bar.

Barnsley could have grabbed a second just before the break when Woodrow latched onto a ball over the top but the striker volley over from around eight yards out. Was not an easy chance to take but you would expect a player of his quality to at least hit the target.

Half Time Barnsley 1-0 Cardiff City

Barnsley with a comfortable opening half and deserving of the lead. Cardiff were looking to catch the reds on the break but were getting caught offside on most occasions. Moore looking isolated up top on his own, the Barnsley defence were coping well with the long ball into him.

Cardiff started the second half better than they ended the first with a series of Vaulks long throws putting the home side under some early pressure but they defended these well on this occasion and the danger was cleared.

Barnsley soon took control of the game again and they looked to take a big step towards victory when Cauley Woodrow headed home to give the hosts a two-goal lead.

Captain Alex Mowatt clipped in a lovely free-kick and the Barnsley top scorer rose highest at the front post and he planted his header into the ground and beyond the goalkeeper to make it 2-0.

Barnsley looked to be in total control and on route for the win but Cardiff came back and soon had a goal to build on. Sheyi Ojo diverting a Josh Murphy effort into the roof of the net to give the away side a way back into the game.

The goal came from a corner that the hosts failed to clear, the ball broke to Murphy who shot from the edge of the box but his tame effort was stabbed beyond Collins by Ojo. Barnsley did not defend the corner well enough at all, but the home side were understandably angry with the ref as the corner was wrongly awarded as the ball was touched out by Flint and not Collins.

The goal clearly gave the away side a huge boost and they had all the momentum and they pushed on to grab a leveller. Barnsley on the other hand looked shellshocked and needed to respond quickly.

Cardiff almost grabbed the equaliser moments after their first goal through a Kieffer Moore header but the big striker headed straight at Collins from close range following a Vaulks long throw.

The towering Welsh man didn’t have to wait long for another chance the level the game, and this time he took it. Callum Brittain gave away a needless corner after ignoring the shouts of the onrushing Collins in the home goal.

The corner was delivered deep to the back post and Moore found space and headed home to complete the comeback. Barnsley who had looked so comfortable for the first 50/60 minutes of the game were now on the ropes and needed to regroup fast.

Thankfully, Ismael’s men regained composure and the game settled again but it became very scrappy with so many little niggly fouls given. Most going the way of Cardiff with the ref getting a lot of stick from the home side for what were in truth some poor calls. Luckily the home defence were able to deal with the Cardiff attack this time.

Barnsley had a few chances to win the game late on, firstly through Adeboyejo after he was picked out by Mowatt but he was unable to head the ball on target.

Sub Carlton Morris went down in the box under a challenge from Flint but the ref waved it away, there was contact there and I have seen similar given in the past but it would have been a little soft in truth.

The best chance to win it though fell to Callum Styles right at the death, the ball fell to the young wing-back at the back post but he blazed his half volley high and wide when he should have at least have hit the target.

Cardiff made it a very nervy end for all Barnsley fans watching from home with a late flurry of free kicks and long throws but the home side stood firm and the game ended in a draw.

Full Time Barnsley 2-2 Cardiff City 

This was the first draw Barnsley have been involved in during the reign of Ismael and he was clearly angry with his side at the full-time whistle as they threw away a comfortable 2-0 lead. The point sees the hosts remain in 12th while Cardiff move up a place to 15th. Both sides will have been happy to end their own losing runs but the away side will certainly be the happier of the two with this result.

Barnsley again showed their frailty at the back defending set plays, this is something the manager and his staff really need to work on as too many goals are given away from set plays.

MOTM – Mads Andersen, dealt with the threat of Moore well for most of the game and grabbed a great opener for his first goal for Barnsley






Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: