Bradford City vs Barrow AFC

Bradford City’s good run of form extends to 8 this afternoon as they narrowly beat Barrow 2-1.

For the second game running interim managers Mark Trueman and Connor Sellars named an unchanged 11. New Signing Andy Cook was on the bench instead of Rumarn Burrell.

The visitors had not played since the 16th of January and made three changes from that side who beat 10 man Scunthorpe. New Signings Ollie Banks, Tom Davies and Bobby Thomas were handed full debuts for the Bluebirds where as new recruits Jamie Devitt, Dan Bramall and Dion Donohue were named among the subs.

First Half 

Early on into the game The home side seemed to have picked up where they left off on Tuesday. A lovely ball out the defence found Danny Rowe who cut in on his right and found the bottom corner.

5 minutes after City could have doubled their lead. A brilliant ball from Elliot Watt found Callum Cooke through on goal. He controlled the ball well but aimed his shot straight at the keeper. 

The Bantams wasted another great chance a couple of minutes after. Billy Clarke was played in on goal. He had options in the box but decided to try an effort but it was easy for Dixon. 

Barrow had their first chance of the afternoon a couple of minutes after. Some good play on the edge of the box found Josh Kay in space but his side footed effort hit the post.

Kay again had another effort straight after, A cross from the left which Scott Quigley header across the box, The Bantams didn’t clear well and Kay latched onto the loose ball but a brilliant block from Anthony O’Connor stopped a certain shot on goal.

City escaped losing their lead again. Scott Quigley was played through on goal. Keeper Sam Hornby was hesitant to come out but tried to and Quigley evaded his challenge but angled his shot into the side netting. 

The bluebirds continued their pressure and it paid off. A floated ball in the box which saw Anthony O’Connor and Scott Quigley in a tussle, Quigley went down and the referee gave a penalty. Quigley who won the penalty stepped up and dispatched to level the score. 

Once again the scores went in level at half time. City dominated the early stages of the game but allowed their opponents to get back into the game and suffered the consequences.

Half Time: Bradford City 1-1 Barrow AFC

Second Half 

Once again early on into the second half City regained the lead. Barrow were forced into a mistake and the ball found its way to Cooke, he played it to Gareth Evans who drove at his man and squared it to Cooke who finished into the bottom right corner.  

After some more Barrow pressure, The home side got the game under control and drove forward with Connor Wood. He worked his way into a shooting position but saw his effort just narrowly wide.

Barrow were moving into first gear again and a great chance to equalise fell to Bobby Thomas but his header was well over the bar.

The visitors had another great chance to equalise, Quigley found himself on goal again he rode the challenges of the City defenders but was denied by Hornby.

In added time there were some hand bags between Callum Cooke and Josh Kay. Kay was the only man to get booked.

The handbags proved to be the last action of the game as the referee blew the whistle on another win for Bradford City.

A Battling performance did the job for Bradford City but it wasn’t without pressure from Barrow. The home side weren’t particularly convincing but they worked hard to get the 3 points. City moved up to 17th in the league whereas Barrow linger above the relegation zone in 23rd.

Full Time: Bradford City 2-1 Barrow

Man of the Match: Elliot Watt

Controlled the midfield for City, helped out at the back and every time he was on the ball he was trying to get the Bantams moving forward with precise and accurate long balls.

Written by Matthew Ward



Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: