Nottingham Forest Vs Barnsley: Match Report

By Matthew Benton-Smith

A hard-fought point for the Reds, with a failure to capitalise on their chances costing them all 3 points in a game that could have easily gone either way.

Subs: Smith, Mbe Soh (Figueiredo 90+4'), Bachirou (Sow 58'), Freeman, Jenkinson, Lolley, Blackett, Taylor, Mighten (Knockaert 87')
Subs: Smith, Mbe Soh (Figueiredo 90+4′), Bachirou (Sow 58′), Freeman, Jenkinson, Lolley, Blackett, Taylor, Mighten (Knockaert 87′)

New signing Filip Krovinovic made his first start for the Reds today as they looked to carry on their climb away from the relegation zone. Both sides looked to make a fast start to the clash, resulting in a strong midfield battle without many chances for the first 15 minutes of the game.

Barnsley had more chances to challenge the Reds defence throughout the first half but it was Forest who had the first clear cut chance of the as Ameobi’s through ball made its way to Lewis Grabban who looked to be offside, the referee allowed play to continue but a disappointing finish brought the promising attack to a halt.

The Tykes had a penalty appeal in the 21st minute after Helik was seemingly pulled down in the box by Samba Sow, the referee saw no problem with the challenge much to the Reds relief as Barnsley strongly appealed what looked to be a lucky escape for Sow.

Chris Hughton’s side had another great opportunity on the half hour mark as Ameobi’s low driven shot travelled just wide of the far post for a goal kick. Another brilliant break started by Krovinovic, who had initiated many of the reds promising moments, ended up at the feet of Knockaert who knocked the ball around Barnsley keeper Collins to Grabban. The striker then effortlessly knocked the ball into an open net, only to realise the flag was up and the goal was ruled out for offside.

The game was goalless at half time following a long battle throughout the first half that wasn’t short of controversy for either side.


Half-Time: Nottingham Forest 0-0 Barnsley


The second half continued similarly to the first as both teams closed each other down very quickly in a very physical game. It looked like if there was going to be a winning team, it would be the side that could physically and mentally stronger over the 90 minutes, rather than quality as no players had much time on the ball.

Barnsley came very close to taking the lead just after 50 minutes, Brice Samba was forced to make a fingertip save as Herbie Kane’s shot from the edge of the box was tipped just over the bar to keep the score level.

A worry for the Red’s as Samba Sow walked off struggling with his ankle, adding to their never-ending list of injured midfielders, being replaced by Fouad Bachirou. Forest will have their fingers crossed that this injury is not a lengthy one.

Barnsley had another chance to open the scoring as Cauley Woodrow fired a header at Brice Samba, with Worrall scrambling the ball out of danger.

Both teams continued to heap pressure on as the battle got faster and more physical but struggled to create clear openings. Knockaert nearly grabbed an opener for Forest after getting on the end of a cross as the ball fell out of the air and he just missed the target from yards out at albeit at an extremely tight angle.

Another injury for the Reds as Figueiredo walks off with a cut on his head to be replaced by Mbe Soh in stoppage time, shortly after Knockaert was replaced by Mighten, the only substitution of the game for Forest that was not to be forced through injury.

The game ended goalless as both sides fought hard throughout the game to try and take the points but they share the spoils after failure to capitalise on their chances from both teams.

Full-Time: Nottingham Forest 0-0 Barnsley

Man of the match: Filip Krovinovic


(Featured Image Credit @NFFC twitter)

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: