Everton vs Tottenham Hotspur

Everton progress to the FA Cup Quarter-Finals after two hours of football in a nine-goal thriller against Tottenham.

An 8:15 kick-off under the lights at Goodison Park.

Two world class managers with over 40 major trophies between them.

And two teams desperate for a trophy.

Despite both teams playing at the weekend in the Premier League, the starting line-ups were very strong, with each of them eager to progress to the next round.

The Toffees made three changes to the team that earned a late point away at Manchester United on Saturday.

James Rodriguez missed out, along with Andre Gomes and Mason Holgate – with Alex Iwobi, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Yerry Mina the replacements.

Jose Mourinho only made two changes to the team that beat West Brom at the weekend, with Matt Doherty and Steven Bergwijn coming in for Serge Aurier and Harry Kane.

The game began and Tottenham flew out of the blocks quickly.

Their high intensity and quick passing caught Everton by surprise and within the first minute, Robin Olsen was sent stretching to his bottom corner to deny Erik Lamela heading in a Bergwijn cross.

Pressure continued and Dutch winger Bergwijn earned the away side a corner.

The following set-piece was curled in by Heung-Min Son to the unmarked head of Davinson Sanchez, who had wriggled away from Sigurdsson before nodding the ball into the bottom right corner, making it 1-0 to Spurs in just three minutes.

Ancelotti’s side fought their way back into the game however, after several early misplaced passes, they managed to remain only one goal down.

And in the 17th minute, Sanchez was the saviour at the other end of the pitch.

Richarlison’s strike at goal was blocked by the Colombian and in the same passage of play Ben Godfrey had a low long shot saved by Hugo Lloris.

Moments later, Everton’s top scorer Dominic Calvert-Lewin latched onto a deflected cross and poked the ball towards the near post, but the French goalkeeper turned it against the post.

The game was wide open now and both sides were creating numerous chances.

A flurry of shots from the attacking trio of Son, Lamela and Bergwijn were all saved by Olsen in the Blues goal and Spurs were unable to take their chances.

This proved to be costly for the North London side, as Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg was dispossessed on the edge of his own box, allowing Calvert-Lewin to power a half-volley into the back of the net – stinging the hands of Lloris in the process.

Tottenham were rattled.

Finally finding their feet in the game, the home team continue their high press, and it worked wonders.

Two minutes after their equaliser, the goal scorer flicked the ball down delightfully to Richarlison, who cut inside before firing the ball across goal through the legs of Toby Alderweireld and into the bottom left corner.

In a matter of minutes, the game had been flipped on its head.

And it did not stop there.

The next wave of attack came for Everton once more, and Hojbjerg was the centre of attention again.

This time as he tried to latch onto a pass from Gylfi Sigurdsson, he clipped the feet of Calvert-Lewin in the area, giving away a penalty.

Icelandic international Sigurdsson stepped up from 12-yards and send the goalkeeper the wrong way, making it 3-1 against his former club.

Seven minutes of football, and the home side had managed three goals.

The action did not stop there.

With three minutes of added time before the break, Tottenham fought to shorten the deficit.

Up stepped Erik Lamela, who was very positive throughout the first 45 minutes.

He played a one-two with Heung-Min Son on the edge of the area, before meeting his teammates pass with a left-footed shot over Olsen, with the last kick of the half.

Lamela’s late first half goal meant it was still all to play for as the teams came out for the second half.

It took Jose Mourinho eight minutes before, bringing on Harry Kane, as a signal of intent that they needed goals.

Everton’s main man Calvert-Lewin, also had to be replaced due to a slight muscular injury, in which his Italian manager did not want to risk.

Moments after these changes, there was a sixth goal in the match.

And once again the unlikely goal scorer was Davinson Sanchez for Spurs.

A similar corner routine took place, and Son’s corner was flicked towards goal.

This time Robin Olsen made a great save but only for it to find the foot of Sanchez who prodded home from close range.

His second of the game and third for the club – his only other goal came against Leicester City exactly two years ago to the day.

The away side were back in the game.

For 11 minutes.

This incredible game took another turn, as Sigurdsson played in Richarlison who managed to stay onside before firing a left footed shot past Tottenham’s captain from a tight angle into the bottom right corner.

The Toffees were ahead once again after 68 minutes.

With just over 20 minutes to play, Mourinho’s men piled on the pressure – whilst Everton stood defensively strong and tried to hit their opponents on the counterattack.

Michael Keane – who was in an unusual attacking position – met a cross from the right flank by Bernard and headed the ball straight into the hands of Lloris.

Either side of the goalkeeper would have been a goal.

A missed opportunity by the centre-back.

This proved to be costly, as the team in blue failed to clear their lines from a set-piece.

With seven minutes to play, Erik Lamela had a volley headed clear off the line by Abdoulaye Doucoure before the ball found Son, who weaved his way down the left side of the box and delivered an inch perfect cross to the head of none other than Harry Kane.

Another equaliser for Tottenham, sending the game to extra-time.

Both sides had fought valiantly in this action-packed game and had to endure another 30 minutes to decide a winner.

Spurs held possession well and five minutes in, Harry Kane squandered a glorious opportunity to put his side into the lead for the first time since the third minute.

Slipping as he went to shoot, the tame effort landed comfortably in Swedish goalkeeper Olsen’s hands.

This sparked a reaction from the Merseyside team, and they made Tottenham pay.

Sigurdsson once again a huge involvement, as he flicked a lovely ball over the heads of the Spurs defence, landing at the feet of Brazilian midfielder Bernard – who fired the ball past Lloris to make it 5-4.

From then on the game became scrappy.

The away side became desperate in their attempt to get another equaliser, throwing numerous bodies in the box, and leaving themselves wide open at the back.

Two Harry Kane strikes were blocked towards the end of the game, but Carlo Ancelotti’s men held on, and the final whistle was blown.

A magnificent FA Cup tie, with some spectacular goals.

Everton progressed to the Quarter-finals, with Spurs knocked out of the competition.

The Evertonians next game is at home to Fulham, as they look to push for a place in Europe come the end of the season.

Tottenham Hotspur have the tough task of travelling to the Etihad Stadium to face top of the table Manchester City – who are on a 15-game winning streak in all competitions.

Match Report by Nathan Salmon

Twitter: @SalmonSport

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: