Hull City vs MK Dons: Match Report

MK Dons got off Scott free after surviving late Hull City pressure to win at the ground of another relegated Championship team as Fraser’s penalty was ultimately the difference between the two sides whilst Grant’s men McCann’t arrest their current slide.

The game started in high octane fashion for both teams. Chances for both The Dons and The Tigers came and went in the opening 10 minutes as Zak Jules could not score his second header in as many games following a corner, whilst Keane Lewis-Potter was played in on goal but could not sort his feet out as Andrew Fisher made yet another important save for his team.

Not to be outdone, Matt Ingram made a stunning save to deny Will Grigg his first MK Dons goal in over five and a half years. Scott Fraser fizzed in a teasing cross which the Northern Irishman slid in to connect with but Ingram pulled off an incredible right-handed save to tip the ball around the post.

Clearcut chances dropped off after that, with Mallik Wilks blazing over from eight yards, on his stronger foot, being the only major incident after the Grigg chance. Despite this, it was still a game where you felt that you could not turn your back because of the intensity and the attacking class on show.

Half-time: Hull City 0-0 MK Dons

The style of the game did not change from the first half into the second as the intent from both sides was still clear for all to see. Wilks could have done better when driving into the Dons area from the right-hand side and Jules’ delivery let him down after getting into a fantastic position on the left-hand side for Milton Keynes.

Lewis-Potter was the bane of Warren O’Hora’s life on the MK right and the winger combined with Callum Elder to set up Greg Docherty on the edge of the 18-yard box but his effort was well saved by The Dons’ POTM for January right on the hour mark.

The game deteriorated after this chance as neither side was going to be able to maintain their vigour. After both sides failed to score whilst in their attacking pomp, this one looked set to fade away into a goalless draw until Matt O’Riley tried his luck from distance and the ball struck Docherty’s arm: Declan Bourne pointed to the spot.

It seemed like a harsh decision but the men in white were always going to need a bit of luck at the home of one of the league’s heavyweights. Fraser confidently sent Ingram the wrong way to give his team the lead.

The visitors’ lead was almost demolished within five minutes. George Honeyman, with a wide free-kick, put in one of the best crosses you will see all season but somehow, Jacob Greaves headed over from inside the six-yard box: another slice of luck for Martin’s men.

Josh Magennis ought to have added to his tally against MK Dons this season. After scoring a brace at Stadium MK, the big striker headed wide in the 93rd minute after a fantastic ball in by Lewis-Potter. It was just as well for the away side, who avenge their defeat in the reverse fixture.

Full-time: Hull City 0-1 MK Dons

Man of the match: Scott Fraser


Embed from Getty Images

Published by Reece Davies

Milton Keynes born and raised and a former employee of Stadium MK for 6 years. A passionate MK Dons fan ready to document our dire performances

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: