Colchester United vs Mansfield Town: Match Report

Mansfield Town took the lead early on at the Colchester Community Stadium. George Maris’ free-kick delivery found the head of the U’s defender Tommy Smith. In turn, the ball was bundled into the back of the net after only four minutes of the first-half.

Jamie Reid showed great strength to evade several challenges from the Colchester players. The striker was able to release a shot from outside the box, but it was wide of the target.

The Stags looked to have made it 2-0. Maris played a through ball into the path of Reid who slotted the ball into the back of the net. The forward was flagged offside which meant the goal would not stand.

A lovely ball over the top of the Mansfield defence found the path of Frank Nouble. He broke into the Stags penalty area with his shot hitting the side netting.

Colchester hit back in the 39th minute and levelled the game. Ryan Sweeney’s header away went only as far as Miles Welch-Hayes with the defender playing the ball to Callum Harriott. The U’s number 11 blasted the ball into the bottom left corner of Aidan Stone’s goal to equalise for the home side.

Half-Time: Colchester United 1-1 Mansfield Town

A corner for Mansfield sees the ball cleared by the Colchester defence only as far as Harry Charsley. The midfielder played the ball back to Stephen McLaughlin with his shot wide of Shamal George’s goal.

Reid was able to slip in his strike partner Bowery clean through on goal with a delightful through ball. Mansfield’s number nine looked to pull the trigger but slipped in the crucial moment.

Mansfield were able to get the lead once more in the 81st minute. Bowery played the ball inside to James Perch with the defender finding the run of Reid. The forward then intelligently played the ball back to Perch who slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Colchester were able to equalise in the last minute of normal time. Frank Nouble was able to pick up the ball and shift it out wide. The forward had a good enough angle to smash it past Stone and into the back of the net.

Noah Chilvers was able to have a pop from distance in the dying embers of added time. The substitute moved beyond a Mansfield player and aimed at goal forcing the Stags shot-stopper to make a vital save.

Full-Time: Colchester United 2-2 Mansfield Town

Man of the Match: Jamie Reid

The forward tirelessly worked all afternoon to get a chance of his own or play in one of his teammates in all amber during this encounter.

He played in Bowery fantastically in the second-half with a lovely weighted through ball with his strike partner unable to direct a shot at goal after he slipped.

Mansfield’s number 19 was able to get a goal contribution in the end after lovely play between himself and Perch saw the striker pull the ball back to the defender who slotted the ball in the back of the net.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: