Barnsley vs Blackburn Rovers: Match Report

Three successive defeats for Rovers in what was a really dull and uninspiring performance as they lose 2-1 away at Barnsley. 

Personnel and system was changed but it was just more of the same as Rovers see their faint play-off hopes fall apart right in front of their eyes.

Carlton Morris and Alex Mowatt’s goals were enough to give Barnsley the three points. Adam Armstrong scored late on for Rovers but it wasn’t enough as a frustrating evening ends in a disappointing journey back home.

Tony Mowbray made three changes from the team that lost 1-2 against Preston. Ryan Nyambe drops out the squad and is replaced by Taylor Harwood-Bellis for his first Rovers start, Jacob Davenport drops to the bench making way for Elliott Bennett who makes his first Rovers appearance since September after returning from injury and Joe Rothwell is replaced by the vastly experienced Stewart Downing.

Mowbray also operated for a change in system, he decided to operate a 3-2-2-1-2 changing from the 4-3-3 that he has used for the majority of this season.

The first chance came for the hosts as Connor Chaplin 25-yards out lashed a half-volley towards goal, Thomas Kaminski was easily able to palm it away to his right.

After a slow start from the visitors it was their chance to come forward a great over the top ball from Bennett found Sam Gallagher who looked to be clean through on goal but he couldn’t control the ball and it got away from him.

Straight back up the other end of the pitch Cauley Woodrow headed other from a corner which he will feel he should off done much better from.

The Tykes then had a couple of chances in quick succession, the Rovers defence only half cleared the ball and it fell to Callum Brittain on the edge of the box but his volley was hit wide.

Some quick thinking from Barnsley from a free kick allowed Victor Adeboyejo through on goal he opened his body up and took the shot but Kaminski did well to tip it behind for a corner.

A rare chance for Rovers saw Downing’s corner nearly sneak in at the near post, the ball come back out to Downing who whipped in a cross towards the back post and Darragh Lenihan’s header was saved by Bradley Collins.

Blackburn’s best moment of the half came three minutes from half time, Adam Armstrong broke down the left hand he was dispossessed but the ball came back to Barry Douglas who’s cross found Bradley Dack and his header was glanced just over the bar.

Half Time Barnsley 0-0 Blackburn Rovers

Both teams struggled to create any real clear cut chances it what was a pretty dull half of football.

Second Half

A slow start again to this half the first half chance coming from a Rovers free kick 25-yards out Douglas took it, it was cleared out to Lewis Travis who’s shot was well blocked and went out for a throw in.

A nervy moment for Rovers as Alex Mowatt whipped a free kick into the box for Barnsley it was nodded towards goal, Kaminski half saved it and it scrambled around the goal until the referee blew for a foul on Travis.

In the 70th minute Barnsley managed to take the lead substitute Carlton Morris left open on the left hand edge of the box, Kaminski was rooted to the spot as the ball hits the inside of the post and goes in 1-0.

Looking for a response Mowbray straight away made a triple change Bennett, Downing and Dack going off and being replaced by Tyrhys Dolan, Corry Evans and Harvey Elliott.

Barnsley were the team finishing stronger, Rovers looked tired and were sloppy in possession which allowed substitute Herbie Kane to get onto the ball, he fired from 25-yards which went just over the crossbar.

Another chance for Barnsley to seal the victory Dominik Frieser crosses into the box Morris layed off for Mowatt who fired miles over the bar from around 15-yards out.

As Blackburn were pushing men forward looking for an equaliser the Tykes managed to grab a second to seal the win. Mowatt managed to ghost his way through the Rovers defence, round Kaminski and slot into an empty net 2-0.

Rovers managed to get a goal back through top scorer Armstrong, he was played through on goal and he expertly chipped it over Collins in goal 2-1.

The away side pushed for an equaliser in the final moments but it was too little too late as the referee blew the full time whistle.

Another very dissapointing defeat for Rovers sees them drop down to 12th in table.

Blackburn are back on Saturday as they travel to the City Ground to face Nottingham Forest.

Full Time Barnsley 2-1 Blackburn Rovers.




Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: