Bristol City vs Barnsley Match Report

In form, super-sub Carlton Morris was Barnsley’s match-winner for the second time in a week as he tapped home in the second half to give Barnsley their third win in a row. It was their first win at Ashton Gate since the 90s as the away side move ever closer to a playoff spot, while out of form Bristol slipped further down the table after this their sixth league defeat in the spin. 

Ismael again shuffled the pack as he made changes from the midweek win over Blackburn. Sollbauer and Dike returned to the starting lineup at the expense of Adeboyejo and Sibbick.

Barnsley were dominating possession early on as expected given current form, and Dike in particular was giving the home defence problems with his physical presence and pace. He was picked out in the box from a throw-in and he turned his marker well before going down in the box. The ref waved the appeals away and Bristol survived the early scare.

On first viewing, it looked a clear foul but after seeing the replay it did appear that the striker went down a little easily and the ref probably made the correct call.

Barnsley continued to push forward, playing a very high line and unlike in most of their games, they were way ahead in the possession stat. They came close to opening the scoring via a Mowatt corner. His inswinging corner caused all sorts of problems for the keeper as it almost curled in direct from the delivery but the ball was scrambled away. The ref had blown for a foul in the box anyway.

Barnsley should have taken the lead on the quarter-hour mark but somehow Helik fired over from close range despite having pretty much an open goal. The defender won the ball well on the halfway line and brought it forward from the defence before passing the ball wide to Styles.

Styles crossed into the box towards Chaplin who tried to control and shoot, the ball ricocheted off the striker and bobbled through to Helik who had carried on his run forward. He had pretty much the whole goal to aim for from around six yards out but his left-footed strike went well over the bar. A huge let-off for the home side.

Bristol were yet to really get going and it was all Barnsley, they were trying to catch the away side out on the break but the lack of confidence was clear to see and whenever they did get a chance to break the final pass was never good enough to cause any trouble.

Barnsley again pushed to go into the lead and came close to doing so via Dike. The big striker won his header following a long-ball forward and found Chaplin who combined well with Brittain down the right. The wing-back then crossed towards Dike in the middle but he just couldn’t connect with the ball and the chance went begging.

Barnsley almost gifted a goal to the hosts before the break but managed to recover to avoid an embarrassing moment. A long ball over the top seemed easy to deal with for Andersen, but Collins came out to claim. A mix up between the two saw Andersen head the ball towards Collins who was now out of his area and it bounced beyond the keeper.

Luckily Collins got a small touch on the ball to take it away from the Bristol attacker who tried to pick out a teammate in the middle but no one was there to finish and Styles was able to clear.

Half Time – Bristol City 0-0 Barnsley 

Barnsley well on top for most of the half but struggled to create any clear chances aside from the one Helik missed. Bristol looked so dejected following their recent poor run and apart from the chance from the Barnsley mistake they offered nothing.

The second half started in the same vein as the first had ended with Barnsley dominating possession but unable to break through the stubborn Bristol backline. This prompted Ismael to turn to his bench as he so often does to freshen up his team. Adeboyejo and Morris came on in attack with Jordan Williams coming on down the left to offer a bit more pace down the wing.

Soon after coming on, Morris as he did in midweek managed to make the breakthrough to give Barnsley a deserved lead. It was not a goal that will be shown on any goal of the year compilations but a very important one nonetheless.

Mowatt whipped in a corner towards Sollbauer at the back post. He tried to head towards the goal but it was blocked and this lead to a scramble in the box. Bristol could not get it away and the Austrian defender managed to force it across the box and it somehow found its way to the grateful Morris who tapped home from a few yards out.

It was no less than Barnsley deserved but it will be a goal the home side will be annoyed to concede given the chances they had to get it clear. Really poor defending from the hosts.

Very little action following the goal and Barnsley were able to see the game out with ease. Bristol didn’t manage a shot on goal at all in the second half. The only shot they managed in the entire game came in the first half and that was from 30 yards out and caused Collins no difficulty at all. The home sides XG for the game ended up at a lacklustre 0.03 which is certainly the lowest I have ever seen in a game before.

Full Time – Bristol City 0-1 Barnsley

MOTM – Michel Helik – should have scored in the first half but aside from that was unbeatable in the air all day and restricted the home side to literally nothing.

A deserved win in the end for Barnsley who in truth didn’t really need to get out of second gear. Bristol clearly a side with some good players but it’s so clear to see they are so low on confidence at the moment and missing a lot of good players through injury. Whoever goes in to take the job full time needs to pick the players up quickly to stop the slide down the table.






Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: