Bradford City vs Leyton Orient

Callum Cooke’s penalty was the difference for Bradford City as they narrowly beat Leyton Orient 1-0.

This would be Mark Trueman and Connor Sellars first game after signing a permanent contract till the end of 2021/22 season on Monday.

After Saturday’s impressive win over 3rd place Cheltenham Town the joint duo made one change. After sitting on the bench for a couple of games after recovering from illness, Danny Rowe returned to the starting 11 in place of Andy Cook despite scoring twice on Saturday.

The visitors from London, Leyton Orient, made no changes from the side who drew 1-1 with Port Vale on the weekend. 3rd top scorer in League Two Danny Johnson was hoping to add to his tally and catch up to James Vaughan and Paul Mullin in the race for top scorer in the league.

First Half

In the early stages of the game neither team really settled and took hold of the game. The first shot on target came on 19 minutes when Gareth Evans found some room to shoot, Laurence Vigouroux in the O’s goal split the effort but grabbed it at the second time of asking.

The home side were trying to create but lacked that final ball and confidence to unlock the stubborn Orient defence.

Orient had their first shot of the game through Dan Kemp who had been causing problems for Anthony O’Connor. He beat him again but saw his right footed swinger bend just wide.

The blow of the referee’s whistle brought the end to a scrappy first half where neither team could open up each and break the deadlock.

Half Time: Bradford City 0-0 Leyton Orient

Second Half

Danny Rowe had a great chance early on into the second half to break the deadlock. After a goal kick from Sam Hornby which eluded everyone except Rowe, he latched on to the ball but tried to chip Vigouroux and the O’s keeper caught it easily.

Substitute Ollie Crankshaw almost made an immediate impact but Vigouroux saved his powerful shot from 6 yards at his near post.

Another substitute Andy Cook had his chance to break the deadlock as he latched on to Elliot Watts freekick but he could only header wide.

Then the deadlock was broken, Connor Wood and Ollie Crankshaw linked up, As Crankshaw tried to angle his shot, he was pulled down and the referee gave a penalty. Callum Cooke stepped up and smashed it into the top corner.

And the penalty proved to be the difference as City hung on for a third consecutive win in a row.

A narrow victory for the Bantams see’s them leapfrog Leyton Orient into 11th. It was a hard grind tonight, Orient’s stubborn defence proved to be hard to break down at times but City pursued and got their reward in the end.

The West Yorkshire side now sit five points of the playoffs with a game in hand on 7th placed Salford City.

Full Time: Bradford City 1-0 Leyton Orient

Man of the Match: Callum Cooke

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: