Match Report: Derby County 2-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town were unable to stretch their unbeaten run to two games following a very poor performance and result away against Derby County. Goals from George Edmundson and Martin Waghorn were enough to see off a very poor Town side.

Huddersfield Town came into the match having picked up their first win of the calendar year last weekend with a 4-1 demolition of promotion chasers Swansea City. Carlos Corberan would have probably have preferred to be able to name an unchanged side to the one that beat Swansea however he was forced into one change, with Jonathan Hogg dropping out of the squad through injury, he was replaced by Domeaco Duhaney, creating an interesting tactical discussion before kickoff as to Town would set up.

Town took advantage of a fairly dominant opening ten minutes, carving the first chance of the game. Pipa drove forward dribbling into the box before finding Campbell in and amongst a large crowd of Derby players. Campbell hit it first time only to see his shot saved by Derby skipper David Marshall.

Derby had their first chance just five minutes later. Max Bird drove forward down the Derby right before crossing, his cross found the head of Graeme Shinne who cushioned it across to Colin Kazem-Richards, he had space and time but could only divert his effort over the bar.

Derby carved another a chance just a minute later. A corner from Jason Knight should have been easily punched clear by Schofield. But he missed it, the ball dropped to Brighton loanee Matt Clarke, who fired it back across goal instead of into the back of a practically empty net. Lucky escape for Town yet again.

Aaron Rowe created a chance for Town a couple of minutes later. He picked the ball up on the left hand side before driving forward; he dribbled past a group of Derby defenders before attempting to bend an effort on his right foot from the edge of the box. However he could only watch as his effort flew into the empty stand behind the Rams goal.

Derby took the lead just after the twentieth minute, after Naby Sarr cleared the ball off the line to deny an otherwise certain goal directly from a corner, Town lost possession attempting to bring the ball away only to lose it on the right side of their box, the cross found the on loan Rangers defender George Edmundson who nodded past Schofield into the back of the Town net.

Following the goal, the games quality and entertainment fizzled out, with Derby having numerous chances but being unable to work any real chance on goal. Derby did well to keep Town sat deep in their half with Campbell and Holmes both unable to create anything on the counter attack.

The half time whistle went after just one minute of added time in a game that lacked real quality and that had lacked entertainment since Derby’s goal just twenty minutes in. But Town were still in the match and still had plenty to play for in the remaining forty-five minutes.

Half Time: Derby County 1-0 Huddersfield Town

Town returned for the second half having made a change, with young striker Kieran Philips replacing Fraizer Campbell, who missed a big chance early on in the first half. Derby also made a pair of substitutions as they looked for a second goal to kill the game off, with Martin Waghorn and Kamil Jozwiak replacing goal scorer George Edumundson and Lee Gregory.

Town started the second half with a spring in their step, looking bright in the opening couple of minutes as they looked for an equaliser.

The spring in Town’s step quickly died out just several minutes into the half but it took until the sixty-fifth minute for the first bit of action of the half. Unfortunately for Town though, the action was a Derby County goal, a poorly taken corner from Town dropped to Colin Kazem-Richard’s who threaded through Martin Waghorn, despite Town players believing him to be offside, Waghorn drove goal wards and netted from the edge of the Town box, having been 1 on 1 with a helpless Schofield from the halfway line.

Town made a change a couple of minutes later, with Isaac Mbenza returning from injury to replace a very underwhelming Juninho Bacuna.

Town made two more changes five minutes later, with Aaron Rowe and Duane Holmes – both of whom had been quiet following impressive displays against Swansea City – replaced by young midfielder Scott High and young full back Jaden Brown.

Derby were nearly in for a third just after the substitutions were made, a deflected shot found Martin Waghorn, who was looking to add to his first tally, Ryan Schofield hesitated and Waghorn attempted to chip him, luckily for Town though Waghorn could only find the roof of the net with his chip.

Town made their final change of the match with ten minutes to go with Pipa being withdrawn in place of January signing Sorba Thomas, who made only his second appearance for Town since joining from Borham Wood.

Despite only being on the pitch thirteen minutes, young full back Jaden Brown found himself back in the dressing room with a minute of normal time still to play after being dismissed for a rash and reckless second bookable offence.

The full time whistle sounded just minutes later bringing an end to a game that lacked any real quality from either side. It was disappointing for Town fans who came into this one expecting much more following an impressive display against Swansea. It couldn’t have gone more wrong though in all honesty as Town sunk to yet another defeat.

Derby County 2-0 Huddersfield Town

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: