Barnsley vs Millwall Match Report

Goals from Cauley Woodrow and Michal Helik gave Barnsley saw the reds win yet again for what was their fifth victory in a row as they beat Millwall 2-1 at Oakwell. It is the first time Barnsley have achieved that feat in the second division for 25 years. They last managed that in the 1996/1997 season in which they were promoted to the top flight. 

Barnsley made two changes to the team that beat Stoke in midweek as Sollbauer came in to replace Sibbick at the back and Daryl Dike came into the attack at the expense of Freiser after the big American bagged his first goal in English football on Wednesday night.

The game got off to a flying start as the home side opened the scoring after just 90 seconds. Alex Mowatt clipped in a free-kick from the half way line, this was flicked on by Andersen and it made its way through to Cauley Woodrow. The Barnsley top scorer swivelled in the box and smashed the ball home with his right foot to open the scoring.

The lead did not last long though for the hosts as Millwall hit back just a few minutes later. Barnsley full of confidence after the early goal committed plenty of bodies forward as Mowatt lined up another free-kick. This time the ball was cleared and the away side countered quickly.

The ball was played out towards the halfway line where it was picked up by Wallace, he flicked the ball through to Mason Bennett who beat Brittain with some clever stepovers before firing into the far corner with his left foot. Very good finish but Ismael was clearly very unhappy with his sides defending.

Barnsley had another chance soon after Millwall got level, Brittain delivered a corner towards the back post only for Sollbauer to head over. The cross was just a little too high for the defender to be able to get over the ball to get it on target.

After the frantic opening minutes, the game did settle soon after. Millwall were looking to hit the hosts on the break and their front three were showing good movement and did look a threat. The home side were looking dangerous from set-pieces, especially when it was Mowatt taking them.

Morris looked to have broken through as we approached half time, but as he took his shot there was an excellent last-ditch tackle from Hutchinson. This denied Morris getting a clear shot on goal, but the deflection off the defender took the ball into the air and it did look to be looping in for a moment before eventually dropping onto the roof of the net.

Half Time – Barnsley 1-1 Millwall 

After a frantic opening ten minutes, the game evened out and was very tightly matched. A draw a fair result at the break.

Ismael clearly was not happy with his sides opening half performance and he made two subs at the break bringing Sibbick and Halme on for Sollbauer and Palmer as he looked to swing the balance back in his side’s favour.

The home side came close early in the second half when Captain Mowatt struck a free-kick from 25 yards but it was tipped over well by Bialkowski in the away goal.

Millwall then had a great chance of their own to take the lead, a good cross from the left found goalscorer Bennett unmarked in the middle but the attacker’s header was straight at Collins and it was an easy save.

The home side then began to apply some pressure as they looked to regain the lead.

And just before the hour mark, the hosts did retake the lead and again it came from an Alex Mowatt cross. The home side won a corner on the right and this was floated in by Mowatt. Millwall cleared the initial cross but it was recovered by Mowatt who fired the ball straight back into the box.

The ball was flicked on by Andersen again and it broke to Helik in the box who volleyed home superbly as the ball came over his shoulder. It was a really classy finish from the big Polish defender who put it away like an in-form striker.

Millwall tried to get level again just as they had in the opening half and came close on a few occasions. Their first chance came as Malone drilled in a dangerous low cross from the left. Collins did well to tip this away diving to his left but the ball bounced off him and hit Woodrow but fortunately it rebounded wide of the post.

Soon after this, the Lions had their best chance to draw level and it was Mason Bennett again with it. A long ball over the top was chased down by Bennett but Helik looked favourite to get there first. Somehow Bennett squirmed by the defender and got in behind him and was through on goal.

Bennett tried to curl the ball into the far corner but his effort was too high and it was sent over the bar. Collins did well in the Barnsley goal to rush out and tighten the angle.

Another Mowatt free-kick looked to have brought a third for the hosts as his cross was met by the head of Morris but Bart in the away goal got down well to tip it wide.

Rowett went to his bench as he looked to preserve his sides unbeaten run. He introduced a number of attacking options from the bench as the Lions changed shape to go much more attacking. They were going much more direct following the arrival of Matt Smith.

This lead to plenty of crosses into the box from the away side as the Tykes looked to hold on. Helik and Andersen in particular stuck to their task superbly to keep the away side out.

There was a late shout for a penalty for Barnsley after some great work down the left by sub Adeboyejo, he beat a few defenders and broke into the box and went down under a challenge but the ref waved this away. It was the correct call as it was a great challenge in the end to deny Victor a chance.

The home side continued to repel the away side and they held on for yet another victory which moves them yet closer to those playoff places.

Full Time – Barnsley 2-1 Millwall 

MOTM – Michal Helik – took his winning goal superbly but was also a colossus at the back as he continued his fine form of late.

It was a very even first half but Ismael handled his subs brilliantly making changes early in the half to nullify the threat shown by Millwall in the first half. He brought on Sibbick to add pace to his backline to counter the pace in the Millwall attack as well as adding Halme to the midfield to add more steel and strength in there. These changes helped swing the game in the home sides favour for another win.

Barnsley by no means at their best but again like in midweek they got the win against another team in the hunt for a playoff spot. The win sees the home side move above Cardiff into 7th just one point behind Bournemouth with a game in hand.













Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: