Blackburn Rovers vs Coventry City: Match Report

Rovers losing streak ends but the performance once again leaves much to be desired as they draw 1-1 with Coventry at Ewood Park. 

A first half and 5th goal of the season for Ben Brereton gave Rovers the lead but an early second half goal from Matty James saw the Sky Blues earn a point on their travels.

Tony Mowbray made two changes from the team that lost 2-3 to Watford in midweek, captain Darragh Lenihan returns from a rib injury to replace Taylor Harwood-Bellis and after scoring in midweek Brereton replaces Bradley Dack.

20 seconds into the game and it was the visitors with a chance, Sam McCallum found himself in plenty of room down the left hand side he put a cross into the box which troubled Thomas Kaminski as it came off the bar.

It’s been a very shaky start from the home side as the Sky Blues continue to attack, the lively McCallum gets down the left hand side again he takes a shot from the corner of the box which he drags wide of goal.

Coventry continue to dominate the early proceedings of this game, Tyler Walker knocks the ball down into the path of Jordan Shipley who fires a half-volley over the bar.

21 minutes in Rovers had their first opportunity of the game, Adam Armstrong helped it onto Harvey Elliott, he managed to wriggle his way to the byline and play it across goal but some brilliant defending from Leo Ostigard stopped what would have been any easy tap in for Brereton.

Even though the visitors enjoyed the majority of the early moments of this game it was Rovers who took the lead, a brilliant ball from Joe Rothwell found Ryan Nyambe who put the ball back across the box where Brereton finished excellently to give Rovers the lead 1-0.

Moments later Coventry thought they had equalised, a cross from the left was flicked to the far post where Ostigard was well placed to tap home, but the linesman had other ideas as he flagged for offside.

A few moments from the end of the half Rovers had a couple of chances to double their lead, Barry Douglas out foxed everyone when he whipped a free kick from a tight angle that came of the off the far post and no one was there to tap in the rebound.

Elliott managed to slide through Armstrong as he was one on one with the keeper but the pass was slightly over hit which allowed keeper Ben Wilson to get off his line quickly to make the save.

Half Time: Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Coventry City 

This was only the second time in 19 matches that Rovers were ahead at the half.

Second Half: 

Rovers lead didn’t last for long after the break just five minutes in McCallum got forward down the left hand side, he put a high cross towards the back post where Walker beat Jarrad Branthwaite to the header and nodded it down to James who was able to hook his shot into the far corner 1-1.

Once again Rovers came out of the blocks slow and they paid the price for it.

Tom Trybull returned from injury today and came on to replace Lewis Travis on the hour mark.

Coventry looked dangerous when they came forward giving the ball to their big strikers and the Rovers defence didn’t look confident in dealing with them.

Bradley Dack was sent on to try and give Rovers a spark but when he got the ball he was sat very deep and struggled to create anything from that area of the pitch.

Eight minutes from time Ostigard was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Armstrong but that didn’t help Rovers create opportunities or find any openings and the game just petered out and finished 1-1.

Coventry will be delighted to walk away with a point on their bid to survive in the Championship.

The five game losing comes to an end for Rovers but will be extremely disappointed with their second half performance as they didn’t do enough to win this game.

Rovers are back in action on Tuesday as they travel to the Madejski stadium to face Reading.

Full Time: Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Coventry City




Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: