Reading vs Blackburn Rovers: Match Report

Rovers dominate possession but once again come out on the wrong end of the result as Reading leave the Madejski with all three points and the Blues have now lost six of their last seven games. 

This game was lost to a goal of their own making, Harvey Elliott running back towards his own goal lost it on the edge of the box leaving a gift for Geroge Puscas to score what was the only goal of the game.

Tony Mowbray made three changes from the team that drew 1-1 against Coventry on Saturday. Amari’i Bell, Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Tom Trybull came into the starting lineup replacing Barry Douglas, Jarrad Branthwaite and Lewis Travis who all dropped to the bench.

It was the home side with the first opportunity of the game, full back Andy Yiadom getting forward and put in a scrumptious delivery which Puscas headed towards goal and was well saved by Thomas Kaminski.

Blackburn enjoyed themselves a good spell of possession but one sloppy pass fell to Puscas and he tried the spectacular after seeing Kaminski off his line, he shot from behind the half way line and it just crept onto the roof of the net.

It was the Royals who managed to take the lead 24 minutes in, Elliott was running back towards his own goal pressured by Omar Richards and was tackled on the edge of his box, the ball fell to Lucas Joao who squared the ball across to Puscas who easily slotted the ball past Kaminski 1-0.

Reading where forced into an early change as Michael Morrison picked up an injury he was replaced by Tom Holmes.

Good work between Bell and Ben Brereton on the left hand allowed Brereton to cut inside get passed a couple of men but fire his shot wide of the target.

A few minutes before half time it was Rovers coming forward again on this left hand side, Bell found himself in lots of room he passed infield to Brereton who skipped passed one and fired a shot from the edge of the box which was well saved by Rafael.

Half Time: Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers

Some nice play from the away side just 10 minutes into the second half, Brereton and Ryan Nyambe linking up on the right hand side, Brereton was upheld and the ball fell to Adam Armstrong on the edge of the box who’s first time shot was fired wide.

Rovers continued to dominate possession for the next 15 minutes but struggled to carve an opening in the final third against a resilient Reading defence.

Brereton had always looked the most likely to score for Rovers and it was good work from him again, Harwood-Bellis found him in space on the left-hand side, he again cut inside on his right foot and fired a shot towards goal which was parried away by Rafael but only to Nyambe but he could only put the second chance wide of target.

Substitute Tyrhys Dolan had provided a spark off the bench, he skipped in between the middle of two men and played a nice give and go with fellow substitute Bradley Dack but Dolan’s outside of the boot shot was fired miles over the bar.

In added time of the game some good play from Rovers set substitute Douglas free on the left hand side he put a wicked delivery into the box which found Armstrong who will feel he should off done better as he fired wide of the left hand post.

The referee blew his whistle for full time and Reading walked away winners at the Madejski Stadium winning back to back game for the first time since January.

This is now six defeats in seven for Rovers who go away to Millwall this Saturday as they look to get back on track.

Full Time: Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers




Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: