Blackburn Rovers vs Brentford: Match Report

An early Ivan Toney penalty saw Brentford leave Ewood Park with all three points as Rovers left fearing the worst after Bradley Dack leaves the pitch on a stretcher late on. 

The only goal of the game came eight minutes after Darragh Lenihan brought down Tariqe Fosu in the box which Toney then stepped up to score his 26th goal of the season.

Two minutes from time things got worse for Rovers as talisman Dack went down with what appeared to be a knee injury late on and had to be carried off on a stretcher.

Tony Mowbray made one change from the team that drew 1-1 with Swansea on Tuesday which saw Ryan Nyambe come in at right back for Joe Rankin-Costello who dropped out the squad.

This start marked club captain Lenihan’s 200th appearance for Rovers.

Just eight minutes into the game it wasn’t the start that Lenihan wanted to his 200th Rovers appearance,  Tom Trybull gave the ball away cheaply in midfield which allowed Brentford to come forward with Toney he laid it of to Tariqe Fosu who was pulled to the ground by Lenihan in the box and the referee blew for a penalty which several will perceive as extremely soft.

Toney stepped up to take the penalty and as cool as you like slotted it in the bottom right hand corner 0-1.

Both teams struggled to control the game since the penalty with no real chances being created.

Brentford with a long throw from the left hand side, the ball was headed out straight to Mathias Jensen he fired a powerful shot first time but it went wide of the post.

Another chances for the away side former Rovers keeper David Raya boots the ball up and Toney flicks the ball onto Vitaly Janelt who’s left footed shot went wide of target.

Half Time: Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Brentford 

Mowbray clearly wasn’t happy with the first half performance making a double change at the half taking off Sam Gallagher and Ben Brereton and bringing on Liverpool loanee Harvey Elliott and Joe Rothwell.

The Rovers substitutes almost had an instant impact a nice give and go between Rothwell and Elliott found its way to Dack who’s shot was well tipped wide by Raya in goal.

Toney with some quick thinking takes a quick free kick looking to catch out Thomas Kaminski who was off his line and from about 45-yards his effort lands on the roof of the net.

Rothwell really provided a spark for Rovers in the second half, his low driven shot from distance was well saved by Raya.

The ball bobbled around in the Brentford box after a Nyambe cross, Elliott’s shot is blocked but the ball falls to Rothwell who scuffs his shot making it a comfortable save for Raya.

A lovely reverse pass from substitute Saman Ghoddos saw Toney get some room on the right hand side he shot with power towards the far corner but it went wide.

Big shouts for a penalty from the Rovers players as Nyambe is pulled down in the box but the referee waves away those claims in what is another controversial decision.

Big save from Kaminski to deny substitute Marcus Forss from just a few yards out as the Finnish striker heads straight at the Belgian keeper.

Dack nearly surprises Raya from coming from behind him while he takes a goal kick but Raya manages to clear the ball just in time.

After the resulting challenge Dack goes down injured and has to be carried off by stretcher.

Hopefully it’s not too serious and he’s back on the pitch very soon.

Brentford were able to hold out for a massive three points but Blackburn will be extremely disappointed as big penalty shouts go against them.

Blackburn are back in action on Wednesday night as they face Bristol City at Ewood Park.

Full Time: Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Brentford 




Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: