Manchester City vs Borussia Monchengladbach: Match Report

Manchester City eased into the next knockout stage of the Champions League after early goals from Kevin de Bruyne and Ilkay Gundogan, with the German outfit once again struggling to lay a glove on their opponents.

City looked back to their attacking best, especially in a first half where they toyed with their opposition, and also set the second longest run in Champions League history without conceding a goal.

The Blues had started poorly in the opening 15 minutes of recent games, but it quickly became clear that this would not be the case here.

After creating both goals in the first leg, Joao Cancelo took only six minutes to undo the Borussia defence again with a delightful chipped pass to Phil Foden, but on this occasion Yann Sommer was equal to his volleyed attempt.

Brett Embolo had a deflected effort from range saved by Ederson, but the opening goal seemed like it was coming for the nominal hosts, and sure enough it soon arrived.

In fairness to Borussia, there was very little they could do about it.

Riyad Mahrez dribbled around several challenges out wide before cutting in and rolling a pass to de Bruyne. The Belgian allowed the ball to come across his body, and from 25 yards hit a thunderbolt with his wrong foot in off the underside of the crossbar.

Borussia were being played off the park in a manner rarely seen at the knockout stages of this competition, and five minutes later City doubled their advantage.

A pass from deep found Foden on the halfway line, and with a clever body feint the Borussia press was bypassed. After accelerating away from a scrambling midfield, he slipped a no-look pass perfectly into the feet of Gundogan, who easily side-footed the ball into the bottom corner.

If Borussia thought they might get some respite with the tie surely over, they were mistaken.

Gundogan almost had another from another perfect chipped ball over the top, this time from Mahrez, but Sommer did well to block before the ball could come down for the German.

De Bruyne too was hungry for another, and although his 35 yard freekick was sweetly struck it was too central to beat Sommer.

Having been chasing shadows for so much of the half, Borussia did manufacture a decent chance in the final minutes as Marcus Thuram turned and played in Embolo down the channel, but his shot from a tight angle whistled just wide of the post.

Half time: Manchester City 2-0 Borussia Monchengladbach

The second half continued with no changes in the pattern of play- City utterly dominant, Borussia grateful for the momentary respite when they succeeded in briefly winning back the ball.

It took the hosts 20 minutes to fashion their first chance of the half, with substitute Fernandinho dribbling past four players before guiding an inch-perfect pass through to Mahrez. However, the Algerian hesitated as he looked for a pass, and his resultant shot was well saved in the end by Sommer.

Mahrez had another presentable chance moments later as he worked a short corner to Foden, with the youngster gliding past the two covering defenders and setting up Mahrez to blast straight at the Borussia keeper.

The away side did manage a couple of half chances as the game went into the final 15 minutes, with Hannes Wolf firing just over from range and fellow substitute Ibrahima Traore scuffing well wide from just inside the box, but once again they had failed to really test Ederson in the City goal.

Mahrez had two more chances in the final minutes, but surprisingly missed the target both times despite his recent sparkling form.

The whistle sounded shortly after on a very comfortable night for Pep Guardiola, with City now waiting until Friday to see whom they will face in the quarter finals.

Hopefully, not Bayern Munich.

Full time: Manchester City 2-0 Borussia Monchengladbach

Man of the Match: Kevin de Bruyne

After a slight dip in form following his injury, the brilliant Belgian has looked much more like his self the last few games. His wonderful goal to set City on their way was yet another reminder of his exceptional talent.

Also, a shout out to referee Sergey Karasev. Admittedly, a tiger in a top hat would be an improvement on the average refereeing standard in the Premier League this season, but the Russian did an excellent job from start to finish and helped the game flow from the outset.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: