Match Report: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Town claimed a point on the road and stretched their unbeaten run to four games following a battling display away at Hillsborough in which a disastrous own goal made the difference.

Carlos Corberan made two changes to the side that beat Queens Park Rangers at the weekend with both Demeaco Duhaney and Duane Holmes coming into the side to replace the energetic and creative duo of Aaron Rowe and Isaac Mbenza. Town came into this one following an impressive and enjoyable performance and result away in the capital against QPR, with Juninho Bacuna finding the winner ten minutes into the second half with a brilliantly executed first time shot from the edge of the box following Pipa’s persistence down the left side.

Coming into this one, Town had to do something they hadn’t done this calendar year, build on an impressive win and build some momentum, despite the seventeen day break from Championship action closing in on the horizon.

Town’s first chance on goal came just over a minute in, Town’s hard pressing style paying off as Lewis O’Brien won the ball back in midfield before finding Bacuna, Bacuna faked a shot before driving infield, eventually unleashing a shot from around twenty yards out, unluckily for Town though, the effort flew helplessly through the air and into the empty stand behind one time Town target Kieran Westwood’s goal.

There was a debatable decision from Town’s perspective eighteen minutes later, Bacuna drove forward before switching play to find Campbell who was making a run into the eighteen yard box, Campbell cut inside his man before being body checked by a Sheffield Wednesday defender, despite the Town complaints and pleas though, no penalty was awarded… Town fans having to tell themselves that they’d have probably missed it anyway in an attempt to calm themselves back down.

Sheffield Wednesday had their first real chance of the game a couple of minutes later, former Town academy striker Josh Windass broke forward before entering the box and chipping a ball to the far post, despite Kadeem Harris’s best efforts though, his height meant that he couldn’t reach the header and ball flew harmlessly out of play for a Town goal kick.

Despite Town’s bright start, it was Sheffield Wednesday who took the lead thirty-five minutes in, Josh Windass broke through on goal from the halfway line, charging away from Naby Sarr and Richard Keogh before firing past a helpless Ryan Schofield. 1-0 Wednesday! Town were losing on the road again!

The half time whistle brought to an end a half that had begun in a very entertaining fashion before dying out slowly as the minutes rolled on. Baring the Sheffield Wednesday goal, the majority of the half had lacked any real highlights worthy of notes and looked like a typical, close, nerve wracking relegation scrap as the players entered the tunnel for their respective half time briefings. That’s not saying there was no praise to be handed out to Town though following that first half, the team had dictated the play and had had the best chances of the half, obviously baring the goal, and had something to build on heading into the second half.

Half Time: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Huddersfield Town

Town made a change as they remerged for the second half with Isaac Mbenza being introduced in a tactical change, replacing Rarmani Edmonds-Green.

Town’s first chance of the half came eight minutes in, after probing the Wednesday defence for the majority of the half’s opening stages, the ball dropped to Pipa on the left edge of the box, Pipa took a touch to set himself before curing a right footed effort on goal. Unluckily for Town though, the effort dropped harmlessly to Kieran Westwood.

After a prolonged pause in the game due to a Sam Hutchinson injury, Town made another change, bringing on Yaya Sanogo in place of Duane Holmes, hinting at a change of style for Corberan’s men as they attempted to salvage something from their trip across Yorkshire.

Town’s hard work paid off as they equalised just after the seventieth minute, a free kick from Isaac Mbenza found Naby Sarr, his effort was denied superbly by Kieran Westwood but his save dropped to Wednesday striker Callum Paterson, who could only watch on helplessly as the ball bounced off of him and into the back of the Wednesday net! 1-1 and Town were back in it at Hillsborough!

Town made another substitution as the game entered the final ten minutes, with town reverting back to the back three system that had started the game, with the change seeing a largely disappointing and absent Demeaco Duhaney be replaced by Richard Stearman.

Wednesday had a chance to win it with four minutes to go, Town legend Elias Kachunga, now playing for Wednesday, slipped through Palmer, Palmer looked destined to net only his third career goal before being denied by a superb Ryan Schofield save!

Town made another change as the game entered added time, with Fraizer Campbell being withdrawn in place of Aaron Rowe in yet another tactical tweak by Carlos Corberan.

Town had a chance to win it late on, a knock down from Yaya Sanogo fell to O’Brien who struck a low effort just wide of the left post.

The full time whistle sounded after five minutes of added time had been played, with Town having only been able to take a point from their Yorkshire rivals. It was a battling display that, although hadn’t been pretty to watch at times, had meant that Town had dominated the large majority of the game and had managed to salvage a point after going behind.

Full Time: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Huddersfield Town


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: