Wycombe Wanderers vs Barnsley Match Report

Barnsley battle to a 3-1 win away from home against Wycombe to extend their run to twelve games unbeaten and really strengthen their playoff push. Goals from Cauley Woodrow and a brace from Daryl Dike gave the away side the win. 

Ismael made three changes to the side that won away at Bournemouth with Dike, Sollbauer and Styles coming back into the starting line-up at the expense of Chaplin, Sibbick and Williams.

Wycombe started the brighter of the two and an early corner was headed on target by the big defender Tafazoli but it was an easy save for Collins.

Barnsley went up the other end and had a chance of their own, Woodrow found Frieser and he slid the ball to Dike on the edge of the area but his powerful strike was deflected over the bar for a corner.

The reds kept the pressure on with a series of corners and free kicks but they were unable to create any clear chances from these.

The away side came again soon after when Palmer fed the ball through to Frieser on the right hand side of the box and his low shot was well saved by Stockdale in the home goal.

It was Frieser again soon after that came close to opening the scoring, a long ball forward by Styles was allowed to bounce by Tafazoli and the Austrian attacker got in behind him and made his was into the box but his left footed shot was fired high and wide.

Wycombe then came very close when McCleary sprinted free down the right but his low cross was just too far ahead of Horgan and Sollbauer was able to clear.

There was then pinball in the home box following an Alex Mowatt free kick, the ball eventually fell to Helik towards the back post but his shot was deflected just wide for another corner.

Right on the stroke of half time though, Barnsley did take the lead. A cross was whipped in from the right and it was met really well by Woodrow but his effort was well saved by Stockdale. The ball bounced towards Helik who tried to stab it home on the rebound but he was pulled down in the area by Tafazoli and the ref awarded a penalty.

Up stepped top scorer Cauley Woodrow who converted the penalty into the bottom right hand corner to give the away side the lead.

Half time – Wycombe Wanderers 0-1 Barnsley 

The reds made a flying start to the second half and just a few minutes after the restart they doubled their lead. Frieser put in a long throw that was initially cleared but it came back to the attacker who crossed towards the far post.

Mads Andersen rose highest at the back post and he nodded the ball back into the danger area, Daryl Dike rose bravely in front of the keeper to nod the ball home to make it 2-0.

Stockdale made a superbly ambitious attempt to bring the hosts back into the game as he tried to lob Brad Collins from the half way line as he took a free kick but his audacious attempt went over the bar.

After the second goal the game became very scrappy, the hosts were getting frustrated and lots of silly fouls and handbags around as players pushed and shoved each other around. Barnsley were being dragged into the scrap and soon paid the price for this.

With around fifteen minutes to go Alex Mowatt was shown a straight red for a challenge on sub Scott Kashkett. A sloppy pass put the captain under pressure his touch was a little heavy and he slid in to win the ball. The Barnsley man clearly played the ball but as he seemed to go in two footed the ref reached for the red card.

This means the influential midfielder will miss the next three games which will be a big blow for Barnsley. He wins the ball really well but he was not helped by some first class theatrics from the Wycombe forward who threw in a few rolls and screams.

Despite going down to ten men though it was Barnsley who went and extended their lead further with a third goal. Morris did well to control the ball and he found Brittain down the right.

The wing back brought the ball forward before putting in a delightful low cross towards Dike. The cross was inch perfect and the in form American peeled away from his marker before tapping home from close range to make it 3-0.

Barnsley looked to be cruising towards a comfortable win but Wycombe did make a game of it late on. With around five minutes to go, McCleary put in a cross from the left which was deflected into the path of Ikpeazu. The huge striker finished coolly under Collins to make it 1-3 and give the reds defence a little to worry about in the closing stages.

McCleary got down the left again soon after but this time his back post cross was headed wide by Samuel. The same two players combined again soon after but again Samuel was unable to score, this time heading just over the bar.

As Wycombe pushed men forward, Barnsley almost caught them on the break but two cynical fouls first by Knight and the second by Jacobsen put a stop to any counter attack. Sibbick was especially unhappy with the second foul on him and he reacted with a push on Jacobsen.

This lead to a bit of a scuffle between the two sets of players, the ref was beginning to lose control of matters. Eventually things calmed down and the ref booked both Wycombe players for their fouls and Sibbick for his reaction.

There was a very late chance for sub Akinfenwa as he found some space just inside the area but his low shot was well saved by Collins to deny the beast a first goal at this level.

Full Time – Wycombe Wanderers 1-3 Barnsley 

MOTM – Dike, two goals for the young loanee gave his side the win but not only did he provide two goals, he ran and pressed all game giving the home defence issues all game. A real mature performance from the young man.

A fifth straight away win for the reds who continue their fine recent form. They move up a place into fifth after Reading dropped points. The Barnsley manager confirms they will appeal the red card so will be interesting to see if they get that overturned before the big derby at the weekend.










Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: