Blackpool vs Plymouth Argyle Match Report

Blackpool 2-2 Plymouth Argyle

Joe Edwards scored a stoppage-time volley to rescue a point for Plymouth Argyle against Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

Argyle had taken the lead in the 11th minute when Ryan Hardie fired in a rebound after Niall Ennis had hit the post.

Blackpool equalised in the first minute of the second half when Sullay Kaikai smashed a low shot through a crowd of bodies into the net.

The home side then took the lead from the penalty spot after Adam Lewis fouled Demetri Mitchell. Jerry Yates converting to score his 17th goal of the season in all competitions.

Argyle were heading toward another defeat until Joe Edwards fantastically volleyed home the equaliser in stoppage time.

The wing-back got on the end of a dangerous cross by Conor Grant and powered his left-footed shot into the bottom corner.

The result means Argyle sit in 16th place in the table, 13 points ahead of the relegation zone with eight games to place.

Argyle made two changes from their 2-0 win against Bristol Rover

After a scrappy start to the game, Argyle came close to taking the lead after seven minutes. Ennis expertly controlled a Joe Edwards cross, created a yard of space, and fired against the outside of the far post.

The Pilgrims didn’t have to wait long for the opening goal however when Hardie gave them the lead just four minutes later. Fornah sent a long ball over the top to Hardie who dinked a cross/shot to the back post to Ennis.

The striker somehow found the post again from two yards out but the rebound fell to Hardie who smashed the ball into the bottom right corner. It was the striker’s 50th professional goal, which would have felt even better being against his former club.

Hardie nearly had his second of the game after 20 minutes, Adam Lewis delivered a wicked ball into Hardie who could only divert the ball wide of the target from close range.

Blackpool struggled to break Argyle down in the first half. Their best opportunity came just before the half-hour mark.

Plymouth defender Sam Woods, playing in place of the suspended Jerome Opoku, saw his wayward pass intercepted by Grant Ward. The midfielder drove forward and struck a fierce shot goalward, only to be denied by the strong hands of Michael Cooper.

In what was one of the best first-half away performances so far this season Argyle looked dangerous every time they attacked. Hardie nearly scored again after 36 minutes when he tricked his way into the box but saw his tame outside of the foot shot caught by Chris Maxwell.

Blackpool knew if they were going to extend their ten-match unbeaten run they’d need to bounce back quickly in the second half and they did within the opening minutes.

Lewis failed to clear his lines which allowed Mitchell to drive at him and cut in on his dangerous left foot.

The winger saw his goalbound effort blocked by Will Aimson but the ball fell straight to Kaikai who’s effort went through several bodies before finding the back of the net.

Blackpool, whose recent form has seen them push into the playoffs were looking like a real threat especially through Mitchell, he again cut inside and shot from outside the area but saw his effort fly just wide of the target.

Just after the hour mark, they got the goal their constant pressure had deserved. Mitchell again was at the heart of the move he dribbled into the area and got the wrong side of Lewis who made contact with the man and not the ball.

Some would call it dubious but it was an intelligent play from Mitchell who rightfully won his side a penalty The Seasider’s top scorer Yates gave Cooper no chance from the spot,  blasting the shot straight down the middle to put the home side in the ascendency.

It was a completely different performance from Argyle who had dominated the first half, they rarely managed to get into the Blackpool half after the break.

Substitute Byron Moore was played in behind by Conor Grant in the 70th minute, but he couldn’t pick out a green and black shirt with his low cross.

The home side constantly looked like they were going to get the next goal and should have sealed all three points in the 77th minute. Argyle didn’t put the ball out of play despite Aimson being injured on the ground.

This was costly as Blackpool won back possession and penetrated the space Aimson had previously been occupying. Midfielder Ward found himself one on one with Cooper but he was once again denied by a really good reflex save by Argyle’s young keeper.

The Pilgrims threw all their attacking subs on to salvage something from the game but it was their right wing-back and captain who was the hero of the hour in stoppage time.

Argyle hooked the ball down the line to Moore, who kept the ball under control before laying off Grant. The former Everton man whipped a delicious ball into the area which was met by the flying Edwards.

The defender got in between two tangerine shirts to meet the ball with a superb left-footed volley that rocketed into the bottom left corner giving goalkeeper Chris Maxwell no chance.

An important point for Argyle who face up to relegation-threatened AFC Wimbledon in their next game.




Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: