Wycombe Wanderers vs Blackburn Rovers: Match Report

A Fred Onyedinma header saw Wycombe pick up a big three points against a really lacklustre Rovers team whose’s season continues to dwindle away.

The only goal of the game came right at the start of the second half from a Joe Jacobson corner and an unmarked Onyedinma headed home extending Rovers’ run to just one win in their last 13.

Tony Mowbray made three changes from the team that drew 1-1 with league leaders Norwich two weeks ago. Corry Evans, John Buckley and Tyrhys Dolan dropped to the bench and in came Tom Trybull, Harvey Elliott and Sam Gallagher.

There was a really nice pace to the start of this game with the home side having the better of the chances with Anis Mehmeti cutting in on his right foot where his shot was well headed wide by Rovers captain Darragh Lenihan.

Dominic Gape went down with an injury 14 minutes in and couldn’t continue and was replaced by Dennis Adeniran.

The game became extremely scrappy with both teams careless in possession with nothing else of real note happening until 30 minutes in, the ball came out to Joe Rankin-Costello 25-yards out and his low shot was fired towards the bottom right hand corner but David Stockdale managed to save.

The best chance of the half falls to Trybull for Rovers, a corner is whipped in to the back post Trybull watched it all the way but just from a few yards out he headed it over the bar.

It was then Rovers who were forced into a change due to injury as Rankin-Costello went down under a challenge with Uche Ikpeazu and couldn’t continue, he was replaced by Ryan Nyambe.

Half Time: Wycombe Wanderers 0-0 Blackburn Rovers 

Just two minutes into the second half Wycombe took the lead and no surprise that it was from a set play. A brilliant delivery from Jacobson found an unmarked Onyedinma and he was able to head home to give the home side the lead 1-0.

A few minutes later Rovers looked to get back into the game with a half chance falling to Ben Brereton but he snatched at his shot and it went wide of the near post.

Wycombe were happy to sit back and hold onto their lead and Rovers didn’t have answer failing to create any sort of chance on goal.

The Chairboys were close to making it 2-0 as Barry Douglas cleared an Onyedinma shot off the line and then escaped a potential penalty after colliding with Admiral Muskwe.

Rovers best chance for an equaliser came late on in the game as Rothwell skipped past multiple Wycombe defenders before firing towards goal but the outstretched arm of Stockdale denied him.

The referee blew his whistle for full time as Wycombe leave Adams Park with all three points.

Rovers are back in action this Monday as they face play-off chasing Bournemouth at Ewood Park.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: