Blackburn Rovers vs Bournemouth: Match Report

One win in 14 for Rovers now after Bournemouth continue their play-off push with a 0-2 win at Ewood Park.

A first half goal from Philip Billing and a second half strike from Arnaut Danjuma secure the three points for Bournemouth as they had to do very little to see of a deflated Rovers team.

Tony Mowbray made four changes from the team that lost 1-0 to Wycombe on Good Friday. In came Ryan Nyambe, Bradley Johnson, Tyrhys Dolan and Adam Armstrong with Sam Gallagher, Ben Brereton and Lewis Holtby dropping to the bench and Joe Rankin-Costello missing out through injury.

It was an extremely quiet opening to this game as both teams struggled to get a grip of the game and get their forward players involved in attacks.

As the game approached the midway point of the first half Rovers were forced into an early change as Joe Rothwell picked up an injury and was replaced by Holtby.

The visitors did manage to take the lead 30 minutes through Billing, Danjuma drifted into the box from the left hand side hit shot was well blocked by Darragh Lenihan but the ball fell kindly to Billing who finished well from inside the box to make it 0-1.

Rovers struggled to mount a response with their only other effort of the half coming through Harvey Elliott as corner came out to him on the edge of the box his effort on goal was well saved by experienced keeper Asmir Begovic.

Half Time: Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Bournemouth 

Early into the second half Rovers won a free kick on the edge of the box, Armstrong stepped up to take it but his effort went over the bar.

The game had become very stop start which benefited The Cherries as they were happy to contain their lead.

The home side’s best chance of the game thus far came 63 minutes in as substitute Sam Gallagher’s knockdown found Armstrong in the area but his shot flew past the post after a deflection.

Rovers struggled to find any momentum in this game and with just 15 minutes to ago any hope of an equaliser was killed after Danjuma nut megged Lenihan to find himself in on goal where he finished well into the bottom right hand corner to make it 0-2.

Shortly after Bournemouth doubled their lead Rovers substitute John Buckley fired a volley just wide of target moments after coming on.

Things ended up getting worse for Rovers as to add to their misery as a couple minutes into added on time Armstrong was denied from the penalty spot by Begovic after Gallagher was fouled in the area.

Not too long after that the misery continued to pile up for Rovers as Bradley Johnson had a shot cleared off the line by Lloyd Kelly.

Rovers drop down to 17th in the table after this horrendous run of form while this win for Bournemouth keeps them in 7th but they remain in the hunt for a play-off place.

With six games remaining Rovers need to keep an eye over their shoulder as they travel to the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday to face The Bluebirds.

Full Time: Blackburn Rovers 0-2 Bournemouth

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: