Luton Town vs Barnsley Match Report

Man of the moment Daryl Dike bagged a brace on the road for the second successive game as Barnsley beat Luton 2-1 at Kenilworth Road. The Big American did miss a penalty late on before Collins pulled one back for the hosts but the away side held on to win their sixth away game in a row. 

Dike was brought back into the starting eleven after missing out against Reading due to his involvement with the US national side.

Barnsley started the brighter and had an early half chance which fell the way of Adeboyejo. Mowatt clipped in a free kick from the right and it broke in the box for the young striker, he turned well but his effort was fired well wide.

Luton soon responded with a half chance of their own when the ball fell to impressive loanee Dewsbury-Hall. He showed great technique to volley the ball towards goal but his effort was easily saved by Collins.

Barnsley showed how effective their press can be as they forced Luton into a mistake as they tried to play out from the back, Woodrow got the ball from Styles and he fired a shot from range that went wide of the top right corner.

Luton then had their best spell of the half so far as they tried to edge in front. Adebayo did well down the left and broke into the box but his initial cross was blocked.

Luton tried numerous crosses in quick succession but none lead to any real chances and the away side managed to clear.

Luton then almost were architects of their own downfall as they again were sloppy when trying to play out from the back. A loose pass was cut out by Barnsley’s press but Adeboyejo couldn’t get the ball under control at all and Luton managed to react to hack it away.

The away side were starting to get on top as the half went on and they came very close to opening the scoring when Callum Brittain found himself unmarked in the box, his curling effort though was easily saved by Sluga. A defenders finish in a strikers position in the end.

The pressure did pay off soon after for the Tykes though as they did take the lead through Dike just before the half hour mark. Woodrow played a fine first time pass through the middle for Dike to run onto. He showed great pace and strength to hold off Pearson before firing a powerful strike into the far corner beyond Sluga.

As the half wore on Barnsley almost doubled their lead after a Mowatt free kick found Woodrow inside the box but the striker headed well over the bar.

Half Time – Luton Town 0-1 Barnsley 

Luton boss Nathan Jones switched things up and the break as his side moved into what looked like a 433 formation after a couple of changes at the break that saw Cornick and Bradley enter the fray.

These changes seemed to have an impact as the hosts started the brighter of the two sides in the second half, Adebayo looked to break into the area from the left but Helik did so well to slide in and win the ball to deny a shooting chance.

Soon after ex Barnsley player Clark found space on the right and he fired a ball in towards Cornick, Mads Andersen did so well to stick out a foot to cut the pass out before Cornick to strike on goal.

The away side then broke with the ball and doubled their lead. Morris found Woodrow in the middle of the park and the striker turned and drove at the Luton defence.

He beat two or three players before stabbing a shot towards goal from the edge of the box. Sluga couldn’t hold onto the effort and it fell in the box for Dike who poked home beyond the Croatian stopper. Great work by Woodrow in the build up.

Luton tried to react quickly to find a way back into the game but Clark and then Cornick both fluffed half chances. Clark fired well over from the edge of the box before Cornick failed to direct his header on target from close range when he was picked out by Clarks cross.

Dike who was desperate to grab his hat trick was really causing the Luton defence a problem with his pace and power. He went on a surging run from the left which almost saw him grab his third.

He picked the ball up wide on the left and just drove at the defence, numerous defenders tried to stop him but nobody could match his power but he dragged his shot just wide after making his way into the area.

Again Dike went on another run as he was found on the right this time. He was one against one with Bradley and the American bundled his way beyond the defender and into the box before this time being brought down. The ref had no hesitation in awarding the penalty.

Dike himself stepped up after being handed the ball by Mowatt but his penalty was poor and Sluga dove down and saved it, the stopper then reacted superbly to get across his goal to deny Helik on the rebound.

The action wasn’t done there either, to top off a crazy few moments Luton countered well and James Collins found space just on the edge of the box. The sub fired home an accurate finish to give the home side hope with around ten minutes of normal time remaining.

The home side really took confidence from that goal and they were well on top in the final stages but were unable to create any clear chances aside from a volley from Dewsbury-Hall that went well over.

They got the ball into the box as much as they could and put Barnsley under a lot of pressure but the away side held on for a huge win.

Full Time – Luton Town 1-2 Barnsley 

MOTM – Daryl Dike – penalty miss aside the big striker bullied the home defence for most of the game and grabbed two goals

Overall a deserved win for Barnsley, although they did make it hard for themselves at the end. This win sees them stay in fifth place and it was their sixth away win on the spin which is the first time they have ever managed this.







Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: