Bradford City vs Grimsby Town Match Report

Team mates clashed as Bradford City grabbed a narrow 1-0 victory over relegation threatened Grimsby Town.

The Bantams came into the game off the back of two positive results over the Easter weekend.

One change was made from the side who drew 1-1 with Stevenage on Easter Monday. Billy Clarke took the place of Kian Scales to face his former club. Gareth Evans was making his 100th league appearance for City.

There were three former Bantams in the Grimsby side. Filipe Morais, Luke Hendrie and James Hanson made a return to Valley Parade. Hanson was part of the Bradford City team who got to the Capital One Cup final and got promoted out of League 2 in the 2012/13 season with Phil Parkinson. Him and Morais were also part of the team who beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

Grimsby had an early penalty shout when George Williams went down with Connor Wood. But the shout was ignored by referee James Bell.

The Mariners were playing with a lot of freedom and came close when Sam Habergham’s free kick was met by Giles Coke but his header was over the bar.

Grimsby continued their pressure and a testing cross from Luke Hendrie bobbled around the box and almost dropped for a Grimsby man but City managed to clear.

It took the Bantams time to get going but a shot from Gareth Evans on the edge of the area provided a first test mariners keeper Jason McKeown.

Finn Cousin-Dawson almost had his first goal in City colours when the ball dropped to him but his fierce drive was well blocked by the Grimsby back line.

City were growing into the game and had the best chance of the game when a brilliant cross from Connor Wood saw Andy Cook gamble but a last ditch header from Habergham denied Cook the chance.

City would soon break the deadlock however, Evans’s cross was deflected into the path of Anthony O’Connor who guided the ball home.

But the action didn’t stop there, A truly bizarre end to the first half which saw Grimsby Town’s Stephan Payne headbutt Filipe Morais following a disagreement between the pair. Payne was given his marching orders

Half Time: Bradford City 1-0 Grimsby Town

The home side looked to use the man advantage to build on their lead. Andy Cook had a free header from a set piece but it was straight at McKeown.

City had another chance to double their lead, a cross in from the right caused all sorts of problems in the box but the Mariners just about managed to clear their lines.

Connor Wood had a chance to kill the game, he had space and time in the box to pick his spot but his shot smacked the crossbar.

City despite their pressure were living dangerously at the back, Luckily for City when Luke Spokes got on the end of Jay Matete’s cross his shot was way over.

But they hung onto a 1-0 nil victory in a very bizarre game of football.

Full Time: Bradford City 1-0 Grimsby Town

The win takes City three points off the play-off spots but it wasn’t the most convincing performance from Mark Trueman and Connor Sellars side.

At times the home side lived dangerously at the back with Grimsby causing all sorts of problems for the Bradford backline.

However once again that true grit determination was the thing that got the Bantams overline in the end.

Grimsby’s situation worsens after today’s result. They are still rooted to the bottom of the table with seven points separating them and Colchester United who sit just outside the bottom two.

But this game will be remembered for the halftime clash between Stephan Payne and Filipe Morais.

Man of the Match: Anthony O’Connor

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: