Cardiff City vs Blackburn Rovers: Match Report

A dominate Rovers display only saw them walk away with a point thanks to a late Adam Armstrong equaliser as they draw 2-2 with Cardiff City. 

Will Vaulks opened the scoring early in the first half before Armstrong found the back of the net right before the half.

Rovers were denied by the woodwork three times in the second half before Joe Ralls restored the home sides lead. However, Armstrong’s second goal of the game in the dying stages earned Rovers a well deserved point on their travels.

Tony Mowbray made two changes from the team that lost 0-2 at home to Bournemouth on Monday. Joe Rothwell and Tyrhys Dolan dropped to the bench and in came Sam Gallagher and Lewis Travis.

Rovers had a great chance early on as Harvey Elliott got down the right hand side and his cross found Armstrong in the middle who’s shot went narrowly wide of the left hand post.

Kieffer Moore was denied a great opportunity to give Cardiff the lead thanks to a great last ditch tackle from Tom Trybull after he muscled off several Rovers defenders to get into the box.

Rovers keeper Thomas Kaminski was fortunate not to be given a red card after he brought down Harry Wilson after he took the ball around him.

The Bluebirds took the lead shortly after, a well worked free kick saw Harry Wilson lay the ball off to Vaulks who’s first time effort was fired past Kaminski who did get a hand to it 1-0.

Things threatened to get worse for the visitors as a Tom Sang shot was well blocked by Manchester City loanee Taylor Harwood-Bellis.

Gallagher provided Rovers first shot on target as he broke through the Cardiff midfield to shoot goalwards, his shot was straight at Alex Smithies.

Rovers did equalise just a few minutes before half time as Elliott fed Armstrong down the Rovers right he cut onto his left foot and his shot somehow snuck through Smithies gloves and into the back of the net 1-1.

This marked Armstrong’s 20th league goal of the season and his 50th league goal for Rovers.

Half Time Cardiff City 1-1 Blackburn Rovers

It was Rovers who came out for the second half the brighter of the two teams and straight away Rovers will have been wondering how they didn’t take the lead.

Armstrong played the ball to Gallagher who cut in on his right foot and skipped past two men before firing from the edge of the area which then smashed the right hand post. The ball came back to him from the rebound and his powerful effort could only hit the side netting.

Another chance for Rovers saw Armstrong attempt a shot from the edge of the area and Smithies needed two attempts to save the effort.

It was then Cardiff’s turn to attack as Wilson managed to get away from Darragh Lenihan and into the box, his shot lacked power and Kaminski was able to save.

Rovers were then denied by the post a second time, Bradley Johnson broke beyond the last man and shot towards goal but couldn’t beat the near post.

The away side were once again denied by the woodwork this time it was the crossbar. Barry Douglas stood over a free kick his effort curled over the wall and looked destined for the top corner but the ball came crashing off the upright.

Those missed chances came back to bite Rovers as only a couple of minutes later substitute Joe Ralls was played in by Wilson after he intercepted Kaminski’s throw and he was able to finish past the Belgian to make it 2-1.

Wilson tried to secure the win by going for the spectacular as he spotted Kaminski off his line, the Belgian was able to scamper back in time to palm is effort away for a corner.

Rovers will have been beginning to wonder whether this would be their day after Armstrong and substitute Ben Brereton both had shots from distance which whiskered wide of the right hand post.

The away side did manage to find an equaliser in injury time as substitute Lewis Holtby played a brilliant ball to Armstrong who skipped past one defender and poked the ball past Smithies to earn Rovers a well deserved point 2-2.

Full Time: Cardiff City 2-2 Blackburn Rovers 

A much better performance from Rovers this weekend but this now means they have only won one of their last 15 matches.

Rovers are back in action next Saturday as they face Derby County at Ewood Park.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: