Match Report: Huddersfield Town 0-0 Rotherham United

Town did little to make up for Tuesday’s horror show with another very poor display, this time at home to a Rotherham side who had lost eight of their last ten and sat twenty-second in the league.

Coming into a must win game at home to relegation rivals Rotherham United, Carlos Corberan made five changes to his starting line up, with Ryan Schofield returning from illness in goal, he was joined in the side by Pipa, who returned from a knock, and Rarmani Edmonds-Green whilst Yaya Sanogo and Fraizer Campbell both also returned to the starting line up. The changes meant that Joel Pereira, Richard Stearman, Isaac Mbenza and Danny Ward all dropped to the bench whilst Demeaco Duhaney dropped out of the squad completely.

Following on from the embarrassing display midweek at Carrow Road, Town needed to take three points from what was on paper a very winnable game if they were to dispel any fears of being dragged into a relegation scrap in the final weeks of the season.

Ahead of match, both sides came together to pay respect to Prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh who sadly passed away yesterday aged ninety-nine. Our thoughts go out to the Royal Family and everyone connected with them. He will be sadly missed.

The first big chance of the game went to Rotherham, a corner taken by Middlesbrough loanee Lewis Wing flew goal wards, maybe assisted by the wind, Schofield moved to punch the ball clear but missed it, just as it looked like the ball was heading into the back of the net, it was met by a Town defender on the back post, who managed to clear it to safety.

Rotherham had another chance six minutes later, the ball dropped to Lewis Wing twenty five yards out, he turned, sat Bacuna down and then unleashed an effort towards goal, luckily for Town though, Schofield got down well to deny him.

Rotherham had another chance ten minutes later, a Rotherham winger broke in behind the Town defence before pulling the ball back for Matt Crooks, the former Town man hit his effort first time, the ball flicked off of Richard Keogh’s thigh before striking the post.

Town’s first real chance of the game came only a couple of minutes later, Campbell brought the ball down well twenty-five yards out before playing through Sanogo, Sanogo took the ball around a Rotherham defender before striking wide.

Town went close again a few minutes later from a corner, the ball into the box was nodded away to Jonathan Hogg, Hogg brought the ball down thirty yards out before passing out wide to Campbell, Campbell steadied himself before whipping a low ball into the eighteen yard box, Sanogo made the run to the near post and would have made a connection had it not been for some brilliant Rotherham defending to deflect the ball wide.

Another chance for Town came from another corner a few minutes later, the knockdown from the corner found Richard Keogh who struck his effort first time from the edge of the six yard box, his effort looked destined for the back of the net had it not been for a fantastic block by the Rotherham goalkeeper.

Despite a sustained period of pressure from Rotherham United on the brink of half time, the millers – like Town – went into half time goalless. The half hadn’t failed to entertain though and had fans of either side off of their seats throughout but, despite several chances, neither side had been able to find a breakthrough.

Half Time: Huddersfield Town 0-0 Rotherham United

Rotherham had the ball in the back of the net just two minutes into the second half, after a scuffle resulting from a free kick, Michael Smith brought the ball down with his hand and played it across the box to Matt Crooks, his bicycle kick found the back of the net but was ruled out following the hand ball from Smith! Town had got away with one and it remained 0-0! Rotherham had come out fighting though and Town would have to adapt quickly!

Town’s first change of the half came just six minutes in, Pipa – who was nowhere near fully fit – was replaced by Sorba Thomas who was probably the only player who impressed against Norwich midweek with his pacy and direct runs in behind. Probably the only player that Town fans were excited to see again after Tuesday’s horror show.

The next chance of the game didn’t come until the sixtieth minute, Lewis Wing, who was thirty yards out with a free kick, spotted that Ryan Schofield was focusing on preparing for a cross into the box instead of a shot, struck the free kick towards goal but could only watch on as his effort struck the post and bounced away, Town had got away with another one and needed to improve if they were going to take anything from this game!

Rotherham had grounds to complain to the referee as the game entered the seventieth minute, another Rotherham free kick dropped forward to Richard Wood on the right hand side of the box, Naby Sarr raced to catch up with the player he should have been marking all along and dragged him down. It looked a clear penalty but luckily for Town, the referee didn’t think so! Town had got away with another one and things were beginning to look increasingly dire for the terriers!

In an attempt to change things, Corberan introduced Danny Ward into the fray against his former club, he replaced Fraizer Campbell who had once again run himself into the ground.

Town had a chance just a minute after the substitution, Duane Holmes drove into the box from the right hand side before hitting a low effort towards goal, it was low and on target but there was nowhere near enough power on it to beat the Rotherham keeper.

Rotherham had another massive chance in the seventieth minute, the Rotherham corner was nodded away to Lewis Wing, Wing flicked the ball up in the air before rocketing an effort from the edge of the box. Had it not been for a fantastic save from Ryan Schofield the net would have probably burst with the power behind the shot. Town were managing to cling on!

Town then introduced Isaac Mbenza and Scott High into the game, they replaced Juninho Bacuna and Duane Holmes.

Town had a massive chance with three minutes left on the clock, the corner from Mbenza dropped to Yaya Sanogo on the edge of the six yard box. His first time effort was saved well by the Rotherham keeper.

Rotherham should have won the game seconds later, a goal kick dropped in behind the Town defence to Michael Smith, Smith played the ball across goal with Wiles waiting, Wiles had an open goal to shoot at from seven yards out but somehow put it wide! Town had got away with another one!

That miss proved to be a massive let off for Town as the full time whistle blew a few minutes later, the sigh of relief around the John Smiths Stadium was deafening but it was nowhere near good enough yet again from a Town perspective and things have to improve if they’re to have any hope of not being dragged into a relegation scrap.

Full Time: Huddersfield Town 0-0 Rotherham United

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: