Match Report: Nottingham Forest 0-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town traveled to Nottingham Forest as they began a run of five games that would decide their season, knowing that a win would see them move ever closer to safety whilst defeat could move them even closer towards the Championship relegation zone.

Town’s massive five match run at the business end of the season begun with an away trip to Nottingham Forest, a side who had been expected to be fighting for promotion this season who had instead found themselves battling relegation and who, despite an upturn in fortunes, weren’t yet mathematically clear of the relegation zone.

Carlos Corberan was able to welcome back the fantastic Harry Toffolo into the side for the first time since picking up a red card and then a back injury away at Luton Town during early February. Pipa also came back into the starting line up after being an unused substitute in the defeat against Bournemouth on Tuesday. The changes saw Rarmani Edmonds-Green drop to the bench whilst Isaac Mbenza strangely dropped out of the squad completely despite having not picked up an injury (Not as far as Town fans knew prior to kick off anyway) leading to rumours that he could have been dropped following his recent poor performances.

There was also a welcome return to the bench for Josh Koroma, the promising young forward hit a purple patch for Town prior to his injury in December and his return sparked hope that he could be the man to fire town to safety.

A fast paced start to the game gave Forest their first chance of the game, a free kick from the left edge of the Town box was played short to young prospect Alex Mighten who took a touch before curling an effort high over Ryan Schofield’s bar.

Forest had another chance a couple of minutes later, a slip from Richard Keogh allowed Krovinovic to burst into the Town box to fire a low effort to Ryan Schofield’s left, the young keeper got down well though to tip the shot away from danger.

Town’s first chance of the game came in the thirty-fourth minute, a low cross from Lewis O’Brien was tipped away by Brice Samba the Forest keeper, his clearance dropped to Aaron Rowe who dribbled past a pair of defenders before hitting a low effort towards the bottom corner, unfortunately for Town though, his effort was tipped away by a scrambling Samba.

Town had another chance five minutes later, Bacuna won the ball back in midfield and played through Duane Holmes, he dribbled past several Forest players before firing a tame effort at Brice Samba.

An incident earlier on in the half saw Fraizer Campbell collide with Forest defender Cyrus Christie and, despite initially being able to play on with a shoulder injury, he was eventually substituted with three minutes left of the first half to be replaced by Danny Ward.

Just as the first half entered injury time, a poor back pass by forest midfielder James Garner played through Aaron Rowe on goal, Rowe drove forward in yards of space before unleashing a low effort on goal, beating Brice Samba and finding the bottom corner! 1-0 Huddersfield Town! What an important goal that could prove to be in the hunt for survival!

The half time whistle sounded a couple of minutes later bringing to an end a half that had not been pretty to watch but had proved effective for Town who went into half time 1-0 up!

Half Time: Nottingham Forest 0-1 Huddersfield Town

The first noteworthy action of the second half came just before the sixtieth minute, a Forest cross to the far post found Ryan Yates unmarked at the back post, he nodded the ball down goal wards but Ryan Schofield’s positioning was perfect to collect the ball against his chest easily and bowl it out to safety.

Just seconds later, Town broke forward on the counter attack, Danny Ward picked the ball up on the half way line, turned and played through Juninho Bacuna, he broke forward as the Forest defenders stepped off him before unleashing a thunderous effort on goal, leaving Brice Samba with no chance! 2-0 Town! What a strike from Bacuna and surely that would be the goal that would secure all three points!

The next Town change saw Harry Toffolo be withdrawn on his return from injury and, despite Jaden Brown’s presence on the Town bench, it was Rarmani Edmonds-Green who replaced him as Lewis O’Brien moved to left back in a tactical change.

Forest had a chance to pull a goal back just after the seventy minute mark, a corner from the top side found Scott McKenna, the former Aberdeen defender, at the far post, he nodded back across goal and just as it looked destined to nestle in the back of the net, Schofield flung himself at it and manage to claw it away.

Forest had another chance to pull one back in the eighty-second minute, James Garner played through Glenn Murray, he turned and hit an effort just wide of the far post.

Town then made another two substitutions, with Scott High and Jaden Brown coming on to replace Pipa and Duane Holmes.

Town nearly added a third in the first minute of injury time, substitute Jaden Brown picked the ball up in yards of space on the left wing before dribbling inside and playing a beautiful low ball across goal, unluckily for Town though, neither Bacuna nor Rowe took the gamble and the ball rolled away harmlessly for a Forest throw.

Full Time: Nottingham Forest 0-2 Huddersfield Town

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: